chapter 2

After the sorting ceremony the headmaster, Professor Flitwick, stood up on his podium at the front of the great hall and made an announcement

"This term" he started "Is going to be a bit different. The ministry has decided that it is going to make sure that all magical schools are doing everything right, making sure that the teachers are teaching what they need to be and make sure all the students are happy. They are not coming this term but next term, after Christmas. I know that seems a long way off to most of you but I assure you that it will go quickly. We need to make sure that everything is up to the standards that it needs to be so this term we are going to go through everything you need to know for when they come"

"Why do we have to do this though? It's your job!" Someone from the Slytherin table shouted

"Very good point. If we don't tell you what you need to do and you don't do it then this school will get closed down and you will have to go to Durmstrang or Bueaxbatons, or if not, a muggle school and no more magic." everyone gasped when the head teacher said this. Everybody loved Hogwarts and wouldn't want to leave. "Well, that settles that. Any more questions?"Nobody said anything "Okay, if you think of any questions you want to ask about that then you can ask your teachers, head of house or come and find me. Just a note for the first years, and for those of you who have forgotten, the forest around the grounds are forbidden unless with a teacher or another adult that is allowed in. The caretaker, Mr Goyle, wants you to know that magic in the corridors is not allowed. Okay, I think that is it. Could I see Rose Weasley, Justin Thomas, Petunia Parkinson, Scorpius Malfoy, Heather Longbottom, Toby MacMillan, Rebecca Boot and Lysander Scammander before they start eating please. May the feast begin, please could those children follow me."

Rose and Justin got up from the Gryffindor table and walked over to the door that Professor Flitwick was standing next to.When the other six people arrived Professor Flitwick opened a door and lead them inside. He told them to take a seat and Rose sat on the one nearest to her, one on the front row and Justin sat next to her. She was getting nervous because she thought she was getting in trouble. 

"Okay children" Flitwick said, silencing the mumbles between the children " I am sorry that I pulled you out of the feast but there is something I need to tell you. You eight are the prefects for your year" Rose grinned, her parents would be so happy for her "I am sorry that I didn't tell you during the holidays but it totally slipped my mind, and I was very busy this holiday, it doesn't matter, you know now, here are your badges. You may go now." 

When Rose got back to the table with Justin she was beaming. "Al! I'm a prefect!" she shouted

"Well done Rosie! I knew you would, but why didn't Professor Flitwick tell you in the holidays?" Albus asked

"He forgot, and he was very busy during the holidays, he didn't have time. But it doesn't matter, I have my badge now, wow,I'm so excited" Rose explained.

"So I take it you're prefect now too Justin?" Albus asked and Justin nodded in reply " Well done mate."