Chapter 17

Five minutes later Rose walked into Scorpius' room with a red short-sleeved top on which she had changed into from her green and black stripy long-sleeved one. Scorpius' room was painted with dark-ish green paint and posters of the Chudley Cannons Quidditch team were hung around the room. His desk was cluttered with useless stuff and books, parchment, quills and ink. A green and white scarf hanged off the back of the chair and the green drapes around the four poster bed hanged loosely in the corners. Scorpius was laying in a green polo and jeans on his back on the bed playing with some old thing that had come out of a green velvet box that was sitting on the stand next to the bed.

"What's that?" Rose asked as she sat on the end of the bed by Scorpius' feet. Scorpius sat up and handed her the old ring he was playing with before she came in

"This is what got passed down to me from Caelum. He gave it to Andromeda when they first started dating" Scorpius explained

"It's beautiful" Rose gasped. The ring was beautiful. It was made out of gold and was decorated with gold in patterns like plaits. Right in the middle was a big emerald jewel. On the inside the ring the words 'Semper amabo te' were engraved.

"What does sem-per am-abo te mean?" Rose asked, reading the inscription inside the ring

"I will always love you" Scorpius said. Rose handed the ring back to Scorpius and he put it back in the velvet box. "And it's true you know, I will always love you, even if you don't love me back, Rosie, no matter what, I will always love you"

"Scorp, I will love you forever too" Rose said as she snuggled into Scorpius.

The two sat in silence on Scorpius' bed for a few moments until Narcissa called them down

"SCORPIUS! ROSE! DINNER'S READY!" She called

"Ugh, we have to walk all the way back down, I can't wait till I can apparate next year and I don't have to walk all the way up and down the stairs all the time" Scorpius said as he got off the bed.

"Come on Scorp, it's fine, and anyway. You will have to pass the apparation test before you can apparate anywhere" Rose said as the two walked down the never ending hallway down to the stairs.

Ten minutes later they arrived at the top of the stairs "That was longer than I remember it" Rose sighed as she walked down the stairs behind Scorpius

"It gets longer every time I walk it" Scorpius groaned "And imagine the amount of time I have walked it! I stayed here most of my life, before I went to Hogwarts I had to walk it like eleven times a day, but that's maximum, I spent half my year up here, because Father and Mother always go on these holidays" 

"I'm sorry Scorp, I thought they would be more...uh..." Rose started, but could not find the right word for what she was trying to say

"Loving?" Scorpius asked, Rose shook her head violently to say that's not what she meant "It's okay Rosie, I know my parents aren't like anyone in my family, they only had me so I could carry on the Malfoy family, they didn't want children unless the had to, and they had to have me or the Malfoy name would be continued by someone called Apus, someone in my family, but I don't know them." 

"I'm sorry Scorp, that isn't what I meant but if you are okay with it then, I suppose if you are okay with it then it isn't as bad, but it is still terrible, your parents are supposed to be the ones who guide you, help you in..life!  And they're never there for you it.. it must be horrible" Rose gasped

"Hey, Rosie, it's fine, really, I have Grandma, she's always there for me, and she's always there to help me, to guide me, as you said, I suppose it isn't great that Mother and Father aren't there for me, but that is just how my life is" 

"But that isn't fair!" Rose exclaimed as they walked into the modern, red and white kitchen

"I know it isn't Rosie, but life isn't fair, you just have to deal with that" 

"What isn't fair Scorp?" Narcissa asked as she cut something in front of her that Rose and Scorpius couldn't see

"Oh, don't worry Grandma, me and Rosie were just having a conversation about uh, life... but it's uh, fine..fine" Scorpius answered

"Okay darling, as long as you are okay. I made your favourite tonight" Narcissa said, turning around, smiling. The smile on her wrinkly face really brightened it up. Her grey and black hair was tied up and out of her face and when she wasn't smiling she looked really sad all the time.

"Chicken and veg pie?" Scorpius asked and Narcissa nodded with a smile.

"Do you like chicken and veg pie dear?" Narcissa said to Rose

"Yes Mrs. Malfoy, chicken and veg pie is one of my favourites" Rose said with a grin

"That's good, okay, Scorpius, take Rose to the dining room and I will bring the dinner in in a sec" 

"Okay Grandma, come on Rosie" Scorpius said, taking Rose's hand and leading her out the door opposite them that Rose thought just appeared.

"Did that-?" 

"Yeah Rosie, that door did just appear, one of the many other enchantments on this house" Scorpius and Rose laughed and then Scorpius continued "This way Rosie"