Chapter 32

When they arrived at Hogwarts the students poured into the great hall. The hall was no longer decorated and everything was back to normal. The ghosts floated above the students' heads and everything was perfect. For most people.

"Heya Rosie!" Fred, one of Rose's cousins, said as he pushed his way to sit next to her and Albus at the Gryffindor table.

"Hello Fred" Rose said, playing with the food on her plate she wasn't interested in eating.

"What's up?" 

"Nothing, don't worry. I'm, I'm gunna go up" Rose put her fork down onto the table and ran out of the great hall. 

The next day Rose was on patrol duty with Scorpius. As usual he met her outside her dormitory and they walked down together. They didn't really say much, which was unusual for them

"I was talking to Petunia yesterday" Scorpius said, trying to start a conversation

"I know" Rose nodded, watching her feet as they walked

"She, um, she seems to think your ignoring me" Scorpius muttered, starting to stare at his feet too

"Why would I do that?" Rose asked

"That's what I said... Why were you with Caia and Aofie today? Albus came and found me, but you weren't with him" 

"They wanted to talk to me. Said they were sorry for last term. They wanted to catch up" Rose murmured.

"But it's the first day back"

"Exactly"

"I wanted to spend it with you. Now the snow's cleared, it would be nice to walk around the grounds, don't you think?"

"It might have been, but I was with Caia and Aofie, so we'll never know what it's like today"

"What's wrong with you?" Scorpius asked, looking up, "You won't look at me, you are always upset and you're... You're... You're not being you" 

Rose looked up at him "I don't know. I thought you were being weird. After I owled you about Dad keeping all your messages I never got a reply back. Then when we came to yours you were fine" Rose started fiddling with the ring on her finger "You gave me this ring and everything was perfect. But then after I owled you on Christmas day I never got anything back. We went the rest of the holidays not talking because no matter how many owls I sent you you never sent one back. You seem to have got closer with Parkinson and you aren't talking to me like you used to. I am only acting like this because you are. I am upset but that's because of you"

"Rose... Rose I'm sorry" Scorpius whispered. Rose didn't say anything. And they didn't speak for the remainder of the time they were patrolling.

At one o'clock Petunia and Toby walked down the corridor and up to Rose and Scorpius

"Hello Scorpy, Baby" Petunia said, putting her arms round his neck "I missed you" Then she leant forward and kissed him. Scorpius didn't object. Rose looked up at Scorpius who was now looking down at her. She let the tears in her eyes fall freely. She shook her head and pulled the ring off her finger. She threw the ring onto the floor and ran away