chapter 9

On Friday Scorpius waited outside the Gryffindor common room for Rose to come out once again. When she did come out it was five past eight and she looked like she had been crying but she tried to hide it as they walked down they stairs.

"Look Scorpius" she mumbled as they reached the first floor corridor "I'm sorry about how I acted on Wednesday. I didn't mean it, I really do like being friends with you, and I don't want to hate you either... It's just that I really can't tell you about why I was crying on Tuesday. I know you want to help me but I don't need your help, Albus promised me he would help me whenever I need it and Hugo has always been there for me if I need it. And Lily is one of my closest cousins, apart from Al and she would be there for me too. And even though it doesn't seem like it but James is really caring too. He would help me if I asked him to. So I have plenty of people there for me. All my cousins would look out for me. Teddy would help me too. So it's fine. I don't need your help"

"But I really want to help you Rose, I want to know you are okay" Scorpius begged

"No Scorpius, you can't help me, if I told you why you wouldn't want to. I'm sorry but I'm not telling you" 

"No, Rose, I'm sorry, I over reacted, I shouldn't interfere, if you don't want me to help, I wont"

"Thank you Scorpius"

"That's okay"

The next day Rose and Albus sat with Scorpius, Jacob and Alec at lunch again. It turns out that the three Slytherins were not as bad as the two thought they were. Rose was happy hanging out with her new friends but still found it hard to hide the fact that she was in love with Scorpius, but she managed it.

"Ro!" a voice yelled angrily, approaching her. It was Caia, Aofie lagging behind her

"Cai?" Rose mumbled guiltily

"Where in Merlin's name have you been? The only time we see you is when you come to bed! And most nights your patrolling with merlin knows who until who knows what time and then you disappear! And you never told us what you promised to tell us on Tuesday!" Caia shouted

"Look, Cai I-"

"Don't 'look Cai' me! We are supposed to be best friends! We have been for four years! When did everything change? Ro?"

"Cai, I'm sorry it's just, when I was talking to Al we ran into Scorpius and his friends, Jacob Nott and Alex Zambini th-"

"You are friends with Slytherins?" Aofie exclaimed "But they're... They're... They're evil!"

"No they're not Fi! They are really nice actually, apart from Petunia..."

"That's understandable Ro" Scorpius said

"You let HIM call you Ro? But that's our name for you!" Caia shouted

"Scorpius can call me what he wants, I am fine with him calling me Ro and if he wants to call me Ro he can. Okay and we became friends and we just keep hanging out."

"We saw them Thursday though, when we were looking for you, you weren't with them Thursday!" Aofie declared

"Yes, that's true, Scorpius and I sort of had a.. a.. disagreement Wednesday night about... something that happened Tuesday and we weren't talking but I apologised last night and now we are fine."

"Okay, but are you going to tell us what you told Al?" Caia demanded

"No Cai, I'm sorry, I can't"

"You said you would! WE ARE YOUR BEST FRIENDS! WHY CAN'T YOU TRUST US?" Aofie yelled

"WELL IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, WHY DON'T YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!" Rose bellowed back

"FINE, WE WILL!" Caia screamed and then Caia and Aofie walked in the opposite direction towards the castle, not even looking back on their friend

"What have I done?" Rose asked as she started to sob "I have lost two of my best friends because I didn't want to tell them something" 

"Oh, Rosie, come here" Albus said as he hugged Rose, "It will be fine... It's just a misunderstanding, that's all, you will be friends again soon, I'm sure"

"What if they don't come back Al?" Rose sobbed "What if I lost two of the only friends I have?"

"Hey, aren't we your friends?" Alec asked "Me, Jacob and Scorpius?"

"Yeah, you are" Rose managed to say between sobs "but you three, Al and those two are the only friends I have, or had... Now its just you three and Al..." 

"Hey Ro," Scorpius comforted "It will be fine! Even if they don't come back, you still have us right? We can be better than them!" 

"Thanks Scorpius" Rose said as she tried to stop crying. Rose hugged Scorpius and because only Al could see Rose's face when she did so, she grinned.