Chapter 36 - Surprised Visit

"What's wrong?" Nabi's mother asked.

"Huh?" Nabi says looking up at her mom.

She chuckled. "You know, scientists confirmed that sighing isn't silent." She smiled at her own lame joke. "What's wrong?" She asks again.

Nabi inhaled deeply before exhaling. "I bumped into the girls."

"Girls? What girls?" She asked Nabi while scooping rice into her bowl. "Wait." She said dropping the rice scooper when it finally hit her. "The other girls from GEM? They continued to pursue music?"

"It was only So Hee and Da-Hye." Nabi sighed. "And that's not the point. Bori and Min Jung quit the music industry completely. I haven't seen them since that time I ran off."

Nabi's mother reached across the table and held Nabi's hand in hers. "I'm so sorry my daughter. Because of-"

"Dont." Nabi says cutting her off. "I don't regret the decision and I never will. So don't." She sighs after finding her tone a little too harsh. "I'm Sorry. I'll be upstairs. I suddenly don't feel like eating." She says getting up and bowing to leave.

.....

Nabi pulled up her Ahjumma pants until the stretchy band wrapped around her hips tightly. She shook both her legs as the material hung loosely around her twig like legs. She pulled her hair high into a bun and clipped her bangs out of her face. She pulled a thick winter vest over her pink long sleeves that clung to her like a second skin. She pulled a straw hat over her head and tied the knot weakly under her chin. Finally, she pulled on oversized rubber boots that stopped just below her knees.

The moment she walked out into the courtyard, her mom's loud laughter was sounded off. She was crouching on the table with rubber gloves on and an apron properly tied through the back. In front of her had a few big metal bowls with different things inside of them. She kept slapping at her knee to help contain her laughter but it didn't help.

"You look ridiculous." Nabi's mom breathed out when she finally got her laughter under control. "All I told you to do was put an apron on." She shook her head. "You look like you're going to the mud fields on a wintery sunny day during the rain season while exercising with old people in the park. You look confused."

Nabi huffed out. "I'm not confused. The Ahjumma down the street told me about the horrors of Kimchi making and that I should be prepared."

Nabi's mom rolled her eyes. "That was during the day the village agreed that the men should try to make Kimchi for once. That's the horrible experience of Kimchi making. We weren't allowed to interfere while we watched them make it." She shook her head. "All the women of the village began crying at how stupid and useless their husbands were at making Kimchi." She chuckled. "We wasted so much ingredients that day."

"I still feel the need to dress like this." Nabi says pointing at her outfit.

"Look at you. You're wearing everything but the one thing I told you to wear. Go back inside and put on regular clothes and get the apron on the counter." She scolded with a smile.

"I don't know why you insist we make Kimchi in the winter." She complained to herself while walking back into the house.

After helping her mom make Kimchi, which mainly consisted of Nabi complaining about how cold it is, how hot she is and everything that had to do with the Kimchi making process, she helped her mom place the Kimchi into a large jar where they will let it ferment over the course of the year.

"I can't believe that took that long just to make that." Nabi complained as she stretched out her back.

Nabi's mom tsked at her. "I did most the work. You just complained the whole time." She shook her head while rolling her eyes. "Now I'm going to go and watch some dramas. You do what you need to do but don't bother me."