■ First day

I was finally here, standing in front of the huge building. I had to crane my neck to see the top which bore the letters G R E Y. It was 8:58 am. I had chanted a prayer before leaving my place today. Wade had given me his blessings too and condolences in case I needed them.

Taking a deep breath, I walked in. And immediately realized it was a mistake to be here.

I looked at the employees and then saw myself. I looked like a homeless drug addict in front of these Victoria's Secret Models. Everyone looked like they were models or actors who had accidentally set foot in a corporate building.

Even the receptionist looked like a mini Angelina Jolie, if I may add. Letting out a soft whimper, I walked and stood in front of the reception. She didn't notice me. Or she was a very good actor.

I cleared my throat when I saw she wasn't looking up. She looked up. Her eyes went to my dress and she gave a pitiful glance.

"Yes m'am. How may I help you?" She asked in a fake sweet voice.

"Um, I am here for Mr. Jared Grey. I am his new PA," I said clearly.

Her eyebrows shot up, "You are the new PA? Oh," She looked convincingly surprised as she appraised me again, "Well, take the elevator to the fifteenth floor and knock on the last door from the left," She said, her expression cool and composed.

"Thank you," I said politely.

"Good luck," She snorted, "You need it," She added.

Ignore her. You don't talk with barbie dolls. You talk to normal everyday people, Alli. People will always downcast you, doesn't mean they are right.

I stepped into the elevator and pressed fifteen. I counted till seventeen when the elevator stopped.

"Okay Alli, you can do this. Face the demon and slay him," I said to myself and walked towards the last door. It had "Jared Grey" written on it. There was a card sensor next to the door and a handprint sensor on the other side. Having no such card, I knocked on the door.

There was a pause of five seconds and then a click sound inside the door mechanism.

"Come in," His voice rang clear.

I opened the door and walked in.

He was working on his laptop, scrunching his eyebrows. He looked up at me as I came in and gave a smirk.

"Late on the very first day are we, Ms. Marshall?" He asked, keeping his knotted fingers under his chin and leaning forward.

I frowned. I wasn't late, "I am not late, sir."

"Look at the time, Ms. Marshall," He returned his gaze to his laptop and started typing very fast again.

"Its 9:03, sir," I said, trying to understand where I went wrong.

"Exactly, I told you to arrive at 9:00. Not 9:03. I told you I hate latecomers," He said coolly, fixing his gaze to the laptop.

"Sir, its three minutes. I had to stop by the reception to ask for directions," I replied in disbelief.

"Too bad. If only you arrived three minutes earlier," He tsked, scrunching his eyebrows again and continuing with his work.

What the fuck was wrong with him? Was this really funny to him? Were we still in high school? Did he want these silly stupid revenges? How old was he?

He looked up again, with his eyebrows raised as if challenging me, "What should you say, Ms. Marshall?"

"I am sorry, sir," I gritted my teeth, not at all feeling sorry.

"Well, since its your first day, I will be a good boss and excuse you. Now, go get my coffee. Ask at the reception for any help," He said again going back to his laptop.

Seriously? This is the kind of shit I was going to do? Get him coffee? I actually did some work when I was under Ford. It better not be polishing his shoes or handing him correct files after this. Otherwise, I had to start finding new ways of earning dollars.

We both knew it was impossible right now. Might as well say, "Lol."

"When you come back, I will tell you what to do. If I am absent someday for whatever reason, Gordon will be the person you go to. He is my teacher and friend here. For now, he will assign you someone for today to give you a layout and idea about how things function here. From tomorrow onwards, you will be on your own."

Hmm, well that's still better.

"What are you waiting for?" He asked, "A guard of honor? Go," He ordered.

I was about to go when he called again, "Wait a moment. "

He opened a drawer under his table top and took out a card, "Keep this with you. Only you and Gordon will have access to it. Whenever there is a meeting with someone here, you are to escort them here so do not lose this. Though, most of the meetings will happen at the meeting rooms. Also, in case you lose it, there is a handprint sensor so we will put your handprint there too. I would however prefer you use the card. Now, leave."

I took it, turned and went out, thinking of new ways to kill him.

~¤~

"Sir, your coffee," I placed it on the table. His eyes landed on the cup and he stared at it for few seconds.

He frowned at it, "Does it have sugar in it?"

"Two sugar cubes with a dash of milk," I said listlessly.

He still had that frown, "How did you know? I never told you."

"Well, um..." There was a very, very awkward pause.

Shit, I should have asked him. Damn it.

"I know you used to have it like this few years back, so I figured you would like it this way," I said awkwardly, rubbing my neck.

"Did you ask at the reception if I hadn't given you any specific orders?" He looked displeased.

"No, I thought you still have your coffee that way-"

"You are paid to do, Ms. Marshall, not to think. Next time onwards, don't bother with the sugar and milk. Just coffee. Black and bitter," He snapped.

Okay, grandpa.

"Someone seems to have got up on the wrong side of the bed," I muttered softly, taking the cup away and rolling my eyes.

"What is that?" He asked loudly.

"Nothing, sir."

"Make phone calls to the Linc and Horths confirming my meetings. You will get all the numbers from Gordon, he will be at the office on the floor below, same location. Ask the reception for any directions or numbers when you require it. Once you are done with him and he assigns you the said person, then, check and tell me the rest of the meetings for today," He said, scowling at the laptop.

"Yes sir," I said and was about to leave when he stopped me.

"Where are you going?" He called.

"To do my job?" I questioned.

"Yeah, but did I tell you to leave?" He raised an eyebrow.

"No, but-"

"Don't ever leave until I say so. Get it?" He said coldly.

"Yes, sir."

"I don't know what Ford saw in you. If this is how you work, we have some problems. You may leave now," He said non chalantly and started working again.

"Yes sir," Urging the desire to slap him once, I went out. Maybe, I could use rat poison, or a simple knife or maybe run him down by my car?

Later pretend it was an accident. Though I had to take out the CCTV cameras first. I was too lazy to do that. He might as well live for few months.

He was really testing my patience, though. And it was only the first day.