■ Knocking some sense

Jared

Bastard, asshole, sick. Say whatever you want, but it wouldn't even come close to what I was feeling.

I hated myself for hurting Allison. I would never forget that look on her face. That hurt or anger. If I thought the day she caught me with that girl was painful, this was not something I would ever want to remember.

A dull ache was there in my chest, my head was throbbing as I got up slowly and wiped my face. I stood still in the empty street, clearing my head and chanting a random mantra as I tamed my hair and my face cleared slowly. I walked back in after ten minutes of standing still. The party was still going on full swing as Cecelia chatted with her friends animatedly.

"Cecelia?" I walked over to her. She gave a quick appraisal at my haphazard self and excused herself and we went to a corner.

"Jared, where were you? Are you alright? You look down," She said, frowning.

"I am not feeling well. I think I should leave. I am sorry," I muttered.

"But the party is for us. Is it serious?" She looked concerned.

I nodded, "My head is paining too much."

"Oh, you can stay here tonight," She raised her hand to touch my face and I immediately leapt back.

"No, I would like to go back home. I want some rest," I pressed my fingers against my temples to emphasize on my point.

"Oh. No problem. Go home and take rest then. I will manage my father. Get well soon and goodnight. Drop a text after you reach home," She smiled and raised on her tiptoes to kiss me goodnight as I gave a forced smile and stood back again.

I had met her few times before but I never noticed her until the day Schoff told me he wanted an alliance if we were to form a huge partnership like ours. It seems Cecelia had always had a crush on me and had just graduated college, making her a year younger to me. Since we were to get engaged, she expected hand holding and kisses.

I haven't had  a chance to speak to her alone after I had agreed as I was off to London immediately. I gave one word replies to her texts or calls when at London and I always came up with excuses as Cecelia contacted me many times after I had returned back to America. I should've made myself clear about this marriage.

I wouldn't ever hold hands romantically or kiss another girl who wasn't Allison Marshall ever. She was the only one and she would remain so.

"Um, I might have a fever so we shouldn't touch. I will see you later," I nodded listlessly and walked out, leaving her to give me weird looks. I quickly walked over to the parking lot, took off my blazer and tie and sat down, fastening the seatbelt.

I started my car and drove off to Hailey's place. I needed to talk to someone. My head buzzed with the last hour's incidents as I drove, pulling my hair tiredly. As I came over to her place, I hurriedly parked the car, dropped a very short text to Cecelia and dragged my feet to her porch, ringing the bell.

"Jared?" She opened the door a minute later, "What are you doing here? Come in."

"What happened to you? Where were you all these days?" She asked, ushering me in, "Dad and mom are worried about you. You didn't open the door even when I went to your place that day. What has happened?"

Yes, I looked like shit. Half drunk, bloody eyes, untucked shirt, messy hair, shattered heart once again.

"Is Mark home?" I asked quietly.

"No. He isn't returning in an hour."

"Kids?"

"Asleep but-"