■ Mixing up

"Hi, I am Lily," A brunette leaned over my desk. I looked up suspiciously and then checked my surroundings to see if she was talking to someone else. She wasn't.

I had been working here since three weeks and no one even bothered to talk to me. Gordon, his "friend" was nice but not a talker at all. He had worked with Jared's father too and was very respected, including Jared. He was a bit quiet but wise and refrained from indulging in too many personal talks. I was completely alone here. This was the first time someone was talking to me here besides the business talk. Nobody glanced at me when I came here. Jared was pressurising me with work while others simply ignored me. I knew very well some of them had even made jokes and comments on my dress.

I felt like I was in hell. I didn't know anyone. I missed Phoebe from my old place. Jared was no better. He still acted like a child, scolding me at every opportunity he got and berating me for small things. I felt unwelcomed and lonely.

Jared wasn't joking when he said work would be tougher here. The environment was more charged and ruthless here. The first three days were pure torture when I was learning. They assigned me a girl who spoke too fast and I made many mistakes, asked stupid questions and got myself an earful from Jared. He was pushing my buttons everyday and the only time he did speak to me cordially was when he was tired from a meeting or when he had a stressful day.

I was almost about to cry myself but I knew I couldn't. I had to be stronger. While Jared wasn't fair half of the time, the rest of the time, he made sense as he taught. He wasn't the greatest mentor or teacher but I was definitely learning and getting tested more. This was how the business world worked and experience was everything, bad or good.

However, I had grown wary of Jared and was doing a better job now that I had gotten a hang of it. Since last few days, I didn't make any mistakes, didn't misplace anything and definitely did not make a fool out of myself in front of the other workers.

This place was huge with more technology than I was used to and it was the main head office so traffic was much higher here. Employees were better trained and more competitive. Everyone was formal but very efficient, not to mention intimidating. I was out of my comfort zone and stayed to myself. Jared didn't leave his cabin much and I didn't talk to anyone else besides Jared, Gordon and the receptionist for help.

So, it came as quite a surprise when someone came to talk to me willingly.

"Hi, I am Allison," I smiled, "Nice to meet you."

"So, you are the new PA, huh?" She asked. Like any other, she had a super fashion sense and looked straight out of a Vogue magazine. I often felt myself wondering why Jared never told me to wear this kind of attire. I didn't exactly dress in rags, of course but compared to the other girls here, I was way below them.

Here I go again, comparing all the time. Wade always chastised me for doing this and since last few years, I have been practicing to be more comfortable in my own skin. Whatever confidence I had back in high school was gone when Jared left. From being a judgemental person myself, I became a person who felt too insecure in my own shoes. The very reason I called out Alice for, I felt myself contemplating if I too should go and have a makeover.

If Wade weren't there, I probably would've done it too by now.

"Yeah," I said.

"All the best to you. Hope you are able to survive Jared Grey," She smirked.

"Why do you say like that?" I asked curiously.

They didn't know about our history or his hatred towards me. Unless, Jared went about announcing it to his employees, I think our secret was safe with us.