■ Still the same

Three days later

It had something to do with me. It had been three days since our return and Jared didn't attend office. I called and texted him but he didn't respond. I called at his place and Elle said he had locked himself in his room and had asked me to cancel all meetings.

How could one expect to do business like this?

I received a mail telling me to postpone all schedules for next week and not to contact him unless it was very important. He cited some medical issues which I knew was pure crap.

One week later

It was a Saturday, I remember. Jared still wasn't coming to office. I was still trying to reach him to no avail. I even went to his house but he didn't come out of his room. He didn't even make a single sound when I banged on his door, imploring him to come out and just tell what was wrong.

While leaving, I told Elle to call me when he finally came out of the room but I had a strong suspicion she was under orders not to tell me anything even if he did come out.

Hailey called me, asking about his state. Apparently, Mr. Big Moody was not even responding to his sister or parents.  I just told her he was weary and tired so he wasn't picking up calls, not wanting to make them worry. I would tell them what was wrong if I myself could understand what was going on inside that head of his. I was completely clueless.

On saturday, however, there was a big change.

I was finishing some pending work at evening, having just returned from work and thinking of making a strong coffee, when I got a call. Jared's home. Immediately, I picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Allison? Its me, Elle."

"Yes, Elle. Any news? Is Jared fine?" I got up from my table.

"Yes. He just went out," She said cautiously, as if to make sure he wasn't returning back for anything.

I frowned, "Where?"

"Um, wait. There was a card. Sir forgot to take it. I think he went there. I am giving you the address," I heard some shuffling noise, "Here. This is the address," She dictated it out.

"Is it some formal dinner invitation?"

"Seems so. Sir's name isn't mentioned here but he was holding this card when he came out of the room. He clenched it tightly so its ruined. I am not sure if he went to this place, though."

"Well, it wouldn't hurt to try. I don't have much work to finish anyway. I can just complete when I return. Let me do some investigation then," I mumbled, staring at the address.

The place was close enough. I decided to go after him and figure out stuff. Since I had my work clothes on, it was good I didn't have to change again. I tied my hair, picked up Wade's car keys (after borrowing permission of course), waved him goodbye and went off. I opened the GPS as I drove through, hoping I would meet Jared there.

I reached the place with the given address as I stopped in front of the place. It was a mansion, I realized as the view became visible and there was a long line of cars and security as a huge crowd gathered outside, waiting to go inside. I saw the nameplate from a distance with big letters.

"Schoff."

But that was Jared's client. It seemed as if a party was going inside. Why was he going to parties? Wasn't he acting like the world had ended a week back and now he was partying? That made no sense. Unless he required some strong free alcohol to free his mind, which I doubted he would, he wouldn't go on frolicking by the way he acted these few days.

I knew I wouldn't be allowed inside as my name wasn't there. So, I stopped the car away from the rest of them and went around, hoping to spot a backside gate. To my luck, I found trucks standing in line with craters of drinks and snacks. The waiters stood there, taking a smoke break. I made sure to slip through the with the line of caterers as people carried boxes and cartons on their shoulders as I hid behind them. I tiptoed through the backdoor, making sure I mixed with the crowd well. My dress, thankfully was formal and didn't attract much attention. Most of the guards were near the front, monitoring and the rest of the place was almost devoid of them except for two at the back. I walked inside, patting my hair down and smiling to every stranger I knew I must have met sometime during any meeting.

I felt kind of bad since I wasn't invited as I always stuck to Jared during work hours but then again, I thought, it was Schoff's party and it was his decision whom to invite. He wouldn't obviously invite his guest's secretary.

Guests were talking and chatting as I mixed with the crowd. Soft music played while some people danced on the floor.

I couldn't figure out why Jared would be in a party? Just few days back he was depressed and he was still not saying what was bothering him.

I scanned the crowd and finally found him talking to Mr. Schoff and a woman. He was dressed up in his formal suit, all clean shaven. He was nodding to what Mr. Schoff said but looked tired. I knew he hadn't slept these days. I waved frantically at him. But he didn't notice. His whole attention was on Mr. Schoff.

Come on Jared, look at me. Give me some recognition.

He didn't notice me as he went on speaking and nodding. The woman seemed to be Mr. Schoff's daughter by the striking resemblance and she was also listening attentively, occasionally smiling at the two.

My eyebrow rose for a second as her hand suddenly went up, resting on Jared's forearm but I shrugged off the feeling. It was no big deal. It was just touching. Plus, I couldn't help but smile when Jared scratched his ear, effectively removing his hand from her grasp.

I felt a small snort coming as he deliberately kept on scratching his ear and I could swear he shifted a bit awkwardly as he moved an inch away from her.

Setting aside the entertainment, I waved my hand to grab his attention.

He didn't notice me.