■ Balance

Within six seconds, I heard footsteps coming up. People were sneaking glances upwards so I moved away from the edge and leaned against the wall.

Okay, angry mode on. Don't melt. Frown on face and arms crossed.

"Alli?" Jared came up looking breathless.

"What?" I snapped, leaning against the wall.

I gave my best angry pout and turned away my face. A smile was threatening to erupt on my face as he looked comical standing there breathless and looking like an idiot about to declare his feelings for a girl for the first time.

"Alli," He poked my waist.

I turned my head away further. Then, the jerk had the nerve to tickle me. Just as I yelped, he grabbed my waist and turned me towards him.

I saw from the corner of my eye that he had locked the door. When did he do that? Anyway, he was fast.

"Um, we have had enough interference whenever it comes to us being alone," He answered my thoughts, scratching his neck, "Some of the paparazzi might also have followed me till here, curious. I asked Adam to take the car back to my place to not generate suspicions. I needed some peace and alone time with you."

I looked at the ground stubbornly.

"Hey," He kept his hand under my chin and lifted my face to meet his dull grey eyes.

"Am I forgiven?" He asked softly and hopefully.

I stared into his eyes trying to find any sort of dishonesty or hidden motive, but I couldn't find any.

The ice was melting. I cleared my throat, "You really broke the engagement yourself and not because Cecelia did it first?"

"No. I did it. I thought about everything you said that night, Hailey told me and I couldn't do that to either of us. It was my mistake, so I had to fix it. I understood what you said. I am sorry I insulted you like that. I didn't think of it that way. I just wanted to be with you, forgetting about the entire scenario of you being the other woman."

I quickly bend down and opened my one of my shoe before hitting him with it.

"Ow! What the hell, woman?!"

"You complete asshole, Jared Grey! This is the first and last time you will pull a stunt like this, okay? It was so embarrassing!" I snarled, putting the shoe back on.

"Hey, but it worked!"

The look on my face made him give a sheepish look, "Okay fine, I won't do it again, I swear."

I gave a hard punch on his stomach. He winced before he gave a half hearted laugh.

"I am sorry, Alli. Look, I want to say something before you start," He explained, "You can stay angry at me, but don't go away. Stay with me and be angry so that I can work on making you forgive me. I don't want us to part again. That's why stay beside me and I will try everyday. I promise," He said earnestly.

I frowned.

"Say something," He pleaded, almost folding his hands now.

"Next time you pull any kind of stunt like this, I will seriously break your bones and chop off your balls," I said, narrowing my eyes, "With the pen knife," I added.

He blinked before he burst out laughing, "Consider me warned. I am so sorry, Alli."

"Then let's start over," I said, "I have hurt you, you hurt me. You can say we are even now. So, forget everything and start anew."

"Meaning?" He asked perplexed, "We already know each other very well."

I shook my head and stepped back one step.