■ A day off

I woke up feeling refreshed. I was grinning like an idiot. Yesterday was a marvellous day!
Jared Grey spoke to me civilly and even praised my job. It was a Red Letter Day.

I walked to the washroom. Good lord, it was huge. I could fit five of my washrooms here. I freshened up quickly and went down, half skipping. I wanted to break into a dance.

Jared was, however, nowhere to be seen.

"Good morning, m'am. What would you like for breakfast?" The same lady from yesterday asked as I entered the living room.

"Um... I will just leave. Has Jared already left?" I asked.

"Yes, sir left. But he gave me strict instructions to make you breakfast and pack you last night's food," She said politely.

Hmm...free food. I didn't mind, I didn't mind at all. Grab the chance while you had it.

You never knew, he might return to his previous mode again. So, never let go of golden opportunities.

"Okay, pancakes then. I am Allison by the way. You can call me Alli if you want," I smiled.

"I am Elle. Have a seat. I will come with your breakfast," She smiled.

"How long are you working for Jared?" I asked curiously.

"Well, a year ma'am. Since he joined his father's business," She said.

I nodded and sat down on the chair, drumming my fingers on the table.

This was a penthouse. Not just a house. I wonder where were his parents, Hailey and others. There weren't any photos of his family. It was magnificent but it still looked empty. It was as if it was showcased for display with no living people. Everything looked so neat and perfect with not a speck of dust anywhere. My apartment was a mess, but it still had a warm, homely feeling.

"Does his family come here often?" I asked.

"Not so much. Once in months. Sir lives here alone, though he goes over to meet them once a month or so. He is a hermit almost except when he..." She paused.

"Brings girls over," I could feel the bile in my mouth, the smile slipping off of my face.

These five years had indeed brought some drastic changes. And even though I wasn't liking this new him, I felt bad for him. I just wondered how lonely and scared a guy could be that he seeked pleasure in different people every new day without being able to fully commit to one. It was more of pity than jealousy.

And I knew he blamed me for this.

"Here ma'am... Allison," She slided a plate on the table.

I ate it slowly taking my time, "These are really good. Nice cooking. Last night too, those were some of the best food I have ever eaten."

"Thank you," She warmly smiled.

After I finished eating, I got up,
"It was really nice knowing you, Elle. I will take your leave now," I said.

"Wait, sir left these for you. He told me to give it to you," She handed me a paper packet.

Curious, I peeked inside and saw it was some medicines for me. I closed the packet and smiled. Rolling my lips in, I put them in my bag, "Tell him that I said thanks though I had them already in my bag."

She nodded. I slung my coat over my shoulder and walked away to Jared's waiting car.

~¤~

"See? I told you. He is good boy at heart however cruel he acts," Wade said as he came home that evening.