■ Payback

"Babes, get up. Its time for your office. Its 8:45. Come on. You will be late," Wade poked.

I groaned and then realized what he said as his words registered in my brain. I shot up, my head aching, "What? 8:45?"

"Yeah, you were drunk yesterday. You drunk dialled your boss. For gods sake, sometimes run a comb through that bird's nest of yours," Wade said casually, walking out.

"What?" My eyes almost popped out of my sockets. Nah, he was probably joking, he joked and pulled my leg a lot. My hair was the last thing I needed to fix now.

"Yup. Called him nasty names and shouted at him. You better hurry if you want to keep your job," He said, "Toast and eggs sounds good to you?"

"Why didn't you wake me up earlier, you toad?!!" I rushed to the washroom, my head throbbing in pain.

"I did. But you kicked me," He said, rubbing his stomach as if relieving a pain, "You also said you would set my hair on fire. I don't doubt that for a second. You burned my pants once."

"That was an accident, moron!" I brushed my teeth, took a quick shower and came out dressed in seven minutes. Not in those fancy clothes anymore. I would save those for some other occasion now. I had enough drama with that. Today I would be facing a new drama- the firing drama.

I pulled my hair into an unbrushed ponytail. I still had bags under my eyes. I looked drugged. My eyes were red. Despite showering, it was evident I had a hangover. My head wasn't hurting much after the bath but it was a bit heavy and my stomach was grumbling because I was hungry.

I took an advil and was about to go when Wade stopped me.

"Wait, aren't you gonna have breakfast first?" He asked, giving an adorable pout, "I made toast and eggs."

"No. I amm already late. I have to go," I said, grabbing my jacket.

"Well, remember to grab something on your way. You should never start your day on an empty stomach, let alone popping pills!" He shouted, "You know what will happen to you otherwise!"

"I will. Bye Wade," I gave him a peck on the cheek and ran out.

~¤~

It was 9:40 am. I didn't get time to grab something. I was already feeling famished and running later than usual.

But yup, I was getting fired. Better pack my stuff. Too much overconfidence was not good. I had overestimated my value in Jared's eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if he kicked me out today. I knew he loved punctuality and I had seen people getting warnings and in extreme cases, demoted if they weren't on time regularly, didn't inform beforehand or took leaves without permission. He was that strict.

People stared at me as I scrambled in and ran towards the elevator. I pressed the button, tapping my foot impatiently.

Damn! It was still on the tenth floor. I glanced at the watch, turning my head, looking for some enlightment.

To hell with the elevator.

Stairs it was.

~¤~

"Come in," His voice was curt as I tapped my card restlessly against the sensor.

I hurried in, dreading the worst. His chair was turned towards the glass wall. As I came in, he turned to face me. He raised an eyebrow as he saw me.

Okay, fine. I admit I wasn't in a good shape.

Hair locks were coming out from my now loose ponytail, my face might have looked haggard and bloodshot. And I was panting for breath having climbed the stairs till the fifteenth floor.