■ Doing the deed

I got up in the afternoon. My pillow was wet and my head was throbbing. I looked at the mirror. My hair looked like a crow's nest and my eyes were swollen. A beggar would feel ashamed of me.

I checked my phone. Forty three missed calls and eighty five messages from Jared. I didn't bother checking them. He could go to hell for all I care.

I went to the washroom, brushed my teeth and took a long shower trying to wash away the pain. Nope. No luck. Nada.

Today was a sunday. So, no office which was perfect. I didn't wanna see him now. I didn't want anything to do with him right now.

Wade was nowhere to be seen. I had told him everything yesterday. He had consoled me and stayed by me until I fell asleep.

Just as I went to the kitchen to make something, I heard the sound of the lock.

Wade entered with food packets and coffees. But that wasn't what I was looking at.

It was the look on his face.

"Babes, you won't believe what happened."

~¤~

Jared

I had called Schoff and told him that I would like to speak to him and Cecelia this morning. As soon as it was over, the better.

I was graciously welcomed into his house. I felt a bit guilty that I was going to ruin everything the father daughter duo had so elaborately planned, but this was for the best. As I waited, I saw Schoff and Cecelia coming down.

"Ah Jared, my boy. What brings you here suddenly? You want to take out Cecelia?" He teased. Cecelia rolled her eyes.

"Actually, I want to talk to Cecelia. Its really important," I said and walked and stood in front of her.

"Cecelia..." I breathed.

She looked at me perplexed, "Yes?"

"I don't know how to say this, but please try to understand that I am doing it for the best," I said slowly.

Her eyebrows furrowed, "What are you saying, Jared?"

Here it goes.

"I am really sorry, but I can't get engaged to you. I love someone else," I blurted out.

Those fifteen words.

The impact was immense.

Cecelia's eyes widened. She took a step back, taking in what I had just said.

Mr. Schoff inhaled and gritted his teeth, "What are you saying, Jared? Is this some sort of a joke?"

"No. I don't want this engagement," I said quietly, not looking at him. I was only trying to talk to Cecelia.

"Are you insane? How dare you-"

"Dad, let Jared speak," Cecelia intervened, "Jared, tell me what do you wanna say clearly."

"Cecelia, I am sorry but I can't do this. To you or me or Allison. I love Allison. I have always loved her since high school. We both know this marriage is a part of a business deal. If we marry each other, we will make the biggest mistake of our lives, and trust me I have made enough to know. It will be selfish on my part because I can never make you happy. You are one hell of a girl. You will get a guy much much better than me. I-I am sorry it took so long for me to figure out. I know everyone knows by now and it will be a blow to our reputation but at least we will be happy that we didn't commit a mistake knowingly. I have always seen you as a friend and will always continue to do so. Its just that I won't be able to give you that love and respect that a husband should give to his wife. I am really really sorry," I finished breathing deeply.

She stared at me thinking, a deep frown on her face.

"Jared Grey! If you don't marry my daughter, I am cancelling the deal. You are not getting the contract!" Schoff shouted, coming forward and grabbing my elbow to turn me towards him.

"Please cancel the deal. I am no more interested in this project. I will give you the money as per the contract. Please feel free to withdraw," I said calmly, "I am really sorry for the inconvenience, but I will pay for every penny lost."

"You have lost your mind. You are making a big mistake, Grey," He warned, his pudgy face growing redder by every second.

"Oh, no. I have made mistakes till now. This is the first time I am actually doing the right thing," I corrected.

"You...you are going to discard an entire five hundred million dollars project for a girl?!" He asked shocked.

I nodded, "She is worth more than five hundred million dollars to me."

"Thank god you finally said it," Cecelia said, interrupting our staredown.

I snapped my head towards her. Schoff looked thunderstruck.

"I knew something was wrong. You looked and acted like a zombie during the entire time yesterday," She rolled her eyes.

"And to answer your question, I am not hurt. It was a business deal with no feelings involved. I am glad you said it before we got married, though. I am gladly backing out with no hard feelings. That girl must be really special, huh?" She smiled.

I nodded vigorously, "More than that."

"She must be heartbroken to see you with me," She smiled sadly.

"Yeah, I messed up as usual. I really hate myself sometimes," I shook my head.

"Then what are you here for? Go to her and fix it up," She laughed.

"What about the media?" I asked.

"To hell with the media. We can always cook up some story. Who cares? But I think I deserve something more after what you said, right?" She grinned.

"Anything." I grinned back.

"Can I tell that I dumped you because you are not my type? Please?" She begged.

"Totally! I deserve a punishment afterall," I laughed.

"But she is not gonna forgive you easily," She noted.

"I know. But I won't stop trying. I have loads to say to her. I am not going anywhere. We have had enough," I said.

"Then go. Run," She smirked.

"Yup. Bye Cecelia. Thanks a lot. You are seriously one hell of a girl," I gave her a quick hug and waved Schoff goodbye who looked as if someone had electrocuted him. He plopped down on the couch with his head in his hands.

"Don't worry. He will be alright. Its just a minor shock," She shrugged, "You go."

I nodded and ran out. I almost scrambled into my car, "Hurry to Allison's apartment."

Author's note:

No. The third party isn't always a malicious evil witch. Some are actually very sensible and smart.