■ Arguments

It was lunchtime and I wasn't even half way through. This was his way to get back at me and I must say I felt weakened. He needed an excuse and he finally got it. Damn it, I shouldn't have drank so much yesterday. My stomach rumbled and I groaned, burying my head inside the files, giving a faint cry of dissatisfaction.

"Hey, come on. Let's go get lunch," Lily stopped by.

"Sorry, Lily. I got these files to check. You carry on. I won't be able to have lunch today," I smiled forcefully, shuffling through papers as I looked up again, putting my hand against my mouth as I suppressed a yawn.

"But you need food for energy. These files look dangerous," She said, looking actually concerned for me. It felt nice to have someone close to a friend despite not caring if she thought of me as an inferior.

I knew from the beginning, if I had to survive for few years, I had to get along with everyone else. No good would come out of being a loner. None of us had to be best friends but we needed to be friendly acquaintances, at least. Contacts meant connections and connections meant a lot in your career.

"I know. Can't help. His orders. Him, boss. Me, not," I shrugged, stapling some papers together and moving to the next bunch.

Just then, I saw Jared walking by for his break. As he walked past my desk, he paused and turned to face me, "All good, Ms. Marshall?"

"Yes sir," I replied, resisting the urge to roll my eyes and throw the paperweight at him.

"If you can't do it, I would understand," He challenged, giving a look full of challenge.

"I will do it," I gritted my teeth, making sure my face was filled with disdain for this asshole.

I will show you, you piece of shit. Just you wait. I won't let you see me lose. I was going to finish these files by tonight and nobody, not even he could stop me. I wasn't backing down.

"Suits you," Nodding and his expression giving nothing away, he went away, buttoning up his blazer. I watched him leave and flipped him the finger before giving him a loud curse and proceeding to hurry away.

"He seems to hate you," Lily noted with a dubious expression, watching him go.

Not wanting to talk further, I simply agreed, "I wonder why."

"Do you want me to bring you a sandwich?"

"No. He will get to know. He told me I can't have lunch today until I finish these."

"That's madness!" She gasped, "He can't do that. Even if he is your boss!"

At this point, I literally didn't care about right or wrong. All I cared was I had to show him and I would do it. I didn't care one bit if what he was doing was illegal, corrupt or pressurising. I had to win. Complaining or giving up meant him winning and I swore to God this morning, I would never give him that satisfaction. The only way he could win was if I dropped dead from a heart attack or brain aneurysm or the apocalypse happened.

"Leave it. I can't talk right now, sorry. I still have loads to finish," I gulped, empty air, browsing in a hurry.

It was down to personal enmity now. He would never challenge me again after tonight. He would know despite him being the boss, he would never win.

"Okay, I'll go then. See you. Take care."

"Bye."

~¤~

"Okay, this is creeping me out. We should go now. Its almost 10:00. Its night, Allison," Lily said as she wore her coat.

I was feeling light headed now. My legs and hips had become stiff. My head was aching and hands were throbbing. I was sitting at this desk for more than twelve hours straight by then and had just taken four to six bathroom breaks.