■ Despise

I waved, snapped my fingers to get his attention. His eyes finally flickered towards me when I was attempting to make faces at him. I grinned and waved at him enthusiastically.

I expected him to grin or glare but instead he turned pale. Fear overtook in his widened eyes. He was looking afraid as his mouth opened for a second before closing it.

After that, I should have left. I shouldn't have stayed but I did. I hate myself for that.

Jared was acting as if he had seen a ghost. His lips parted and he looked around to check if anybody had caught him looking at me. He looked batshit scared.

Soon, Mr. Schoff walked over to the stage, beckoning him to go along with him on stage. Jared looked like he didn't have much strength as he let him take him over.

"Ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to my party. I hope you enjoy and make yourselves comfortable. This is a very special party not just for us but also for my business partner, Mr. Jared Grey."

Jared didn't respond. He was looking at me with pleading eyes, looking at me to silently order me to go from there.

As if. I wasn't going until he told me what was going on with him. I shook my head, mouthing back a no. His entire face looked terrified as he gulped and looked over at Schoff. I didn't understand. It definitely looked like Schoff had finalised his deal so instead of being happy, he looked sad. Shouldn't he be grinning like an idiot now?

"Well, he won't remain just a business partner anymore. He will be family in two weeks time," Schoff announced.

I frowned, looking at Schoff. Family... as in...

"That is correct. I am very proud to announce that my daughter Cecelia will be getting engaged to Jared in two weeks."

The whole hall erupted in claps and cheers. The lady who was talking to Jared curled her hand against his bicep, smiling widely. Cameras flashed continuously as sounds echoed through the hall.

Jared's face finally crumpled entirely as looked ashamed and guilty and I saw his eyes breaking down. His eyes were pleading for forgiveness as he stared at me throughout the time. He gave a tight smile at Schoff as he slapped his shoulder in delight.

"Give a round of applause to my daughter and my future son in law."

Cecelia smiled and clapped while Jared was staring at me with a haunted look, his eyes speaking volumes now. He gulped again, his face devoid of any happiness despite the small smile he was giving towards the cameras. Just a broken heart and some promises. They stood together, posing for cameras as the people shouted at Jared to look over at them.

And I?

I felt emptiness. I felt nothing. I was numb.

No feelings, no hurt, no jealousy, shock, betrayal, just an empty void. I didn't feel like this even when Jared left me five years ago. It was intense pain that time that drove me to lunacy almost. This time, it wasn't even half of that. For few seconds, I hoped I was dreaming, maybe it was just a nightmare. Yet, the loud claps and chatters all around with continuous snaps of the cameras were proof everything that happened was a haunted reality. I was standing still.

However, I knew I couldn't hold it any longer. I would come crashing down soon, but not in front of everyone. Not in front of Jared. All those feelings would come rushing any moment now.

"Please enjoy everyone," Mr. Schoff said as he opened the champagne bottle and poured drinks for everyone.

And that's when I slowly turned and walked out.

~¤~

I vigorously wiped the tears off as I ran out. The tears were blinding my vision as I sniffed and took a turn out, not caring if the guards saw me and threw me out. Nobody told me anything as I quickly slipped out of the gate, rubbing my face.