Part 1: Rose

For Dylan,

Who always saw me as I really was, and loved me because of it.

I'll miss you forever, buddy.

..............

"Do you understand?"

"No. You said the best part wasn't how you loved her-"

"Okay. Maybe it hasn't become clear yet. Come closer, listen in, and I will tell you the best part of the story."

..............

Prophecies are unclear to the wisest of people, not even Elves are fully able to understand them. Amelia was lucky in that way, a lot of things were never clear to her but her task always was. She had to unite the kingdom to prepare it for the fight against Akkedis' champion.

But there was another player in the game, unfortunately, she didn't find out until it was much too late. She made her choices like anyone would and in the end, she lost just as terribly as the Girl Queen did.

In the Great Game for Okamila there are no winners.

............

Rose Dellisandro stood in her room overlooking the lake. Her hair had been pinned up in loose curls for hours now. Her dress hung on the wall behind her. It really was a thing of beauty, and she was so grateful for the seamstress putting in so much effort. She twisted her fingers around each other. The sun was setting, casting a pink and gold glow around the lake water. The trees stood like black silhouettes against the sky line.

Her fathers words rang in her head, "You're going to marry Blaxton Monatheon. It's for the good of the realm."

The moment she heard that she had taken her favourite horse, a chestnut brown mare named Bonnie, and raced into the forest. Of course she would do as her father said, and marry the young northern lord. There was a war coming, against the people and the lizards and Rose had to do her part. But she hated the idea.

"Rose." A voice hissed from outside her balcony. She ran towards the familiar tone and smiled as his face appeared and he clambered up so they were face to face. "Big day today." He said with a cruel smirk. His angular jaw was clenched in a hidden frustration and his thick eyebrows were knitted together, making his black eyes seems darker than usual.

"Don't say it like that." Her musical voice pleaded.

"Why not? It is."

"You know I don't want to do this, Marco. I love you."

His hands slid around her waist and his dark hair touched hers. Slowly, as if the moment they did everything would be gone, Marco kissed her. The sun setting in background now cast a pure gold light into the room, flooding it with  warmth.

"I love you Rose. And I'm not going to let that stupid northerner come in and take you from me." He said fiercely, his dark eyes narrowed slightly.

Rose's eyes filled with tears. "Please don't do anything stupid. I'm going to marry him. I have to. But it doesn't change how I feel about you!" She insisted as the tears piled up so much that it was difficult to see his expression.

"I'll kill him if I have to." Marco's low voice made her spine tingle.

"Please don't. I don't want you to do that." She begged.

He released her quickly and paced back and forth. It was hard to watch, he was in so much pain and she was afraid he was going to do something stupid. Like trying to kill Blaxton.