Part 4: Council Meeting

"What?" Amelia gripped Mitra's fur in her thing fingers. "What do you mean?"

The elf princecocked his head to one side. "Were you raised by a wolf?"

"Um. No?" Amelia said stupidely. "My mother raised me."

"So how can you be the Daughter of Wolves if you are not raised by wolves?" The elf princesaid it like it was the most obvious thing in the world and Amelia could hardly argue with that logic but it did beg another question.

"If I'm not supposed to save Kalishterya and destroy Akkedis, what am I doing here?" She said slowly.

"You will be the Pathmaker. The Bringer of Wolves. You will raise our savior and until then you will be Emrys of the North and do everything you can to protect the people in your kingdom. You will take back the throne so your daughter can destroy Akkedis' champion when the time is right."

She didn't know what to say. "What does this mean for me?"

Oliver appeared beside her. "Nothing's changed. Your goal is still the same. Just because you can't destroy Akkedis completely doesn't mean you're not going to do everything in your power to tear apart what he's built, nothing's changed Amy."

"But, I'm - I'm not the one who was promised." Her brow furrowed and she tried not to sound like a child who just had their favourite toy taken away. She had wanted to be the one to destroy Akkedis, not because it was prophesied but because she wanted to kill the person who had terrorized her for years and killed her friend.  

"It has been seen." Literion nodded and Amelia just about punched the boy in the face.

"That doesn't matter!" He looked up at her. Those blue eyes were desperate to make her understand. "It's not like you're going to pack up and leave. This is your home. And the throne is your birthright and you need to take back what is yours. For your people's sake."

Amelia nodded. Oliver was right, nothing had changed. Except she wouldn't get the satisfaction of killing The Lord of Dreams.

"Okay." She sighed. "So what's our next move?"

Everyone turned to Al who looked like he was going to be sick, Amelia hadn't thought that maybe he trusted in her more than anyone else did. He believed in her.

He swallowed and said, "Council meeting with the Dellisandro's and Monatheon's. We decide together what we will do next. But I think we should take High Valley. The Gorodetsky family lives there and they're overrun with lizards but they have no love for the fanatics."

Amelia nodded and forced a smile. "Do you think they'd mind if I brought Mitra?"

Al gave a sad sort of smile, he seemed more resigned to her new fate than she was. "You're the queen. If you want to bring a giant wolf to the meeting then you can."

"Then I will." She jumped off the back of her wolf and walked with one had still holding the thick golden fur. Her friends stayed back, Al hadn't thought it would be appropriate to bring them to such an important meeting. Amelia looked back at Oliver who gave her an encouraging smile.

It was held in the council chambers which was a fairly big room that only really had a round table and some chairs in it. The walls were mere pillars covered in stone ivy so they could see out to the lake. The table itself was wonderful. A deep mahogany with carved symbols and swirls covering every inch. They looked like the tattoos she had seen on the Druid people.

When Amelia walked in the Mitra there were mixed reaction. Blaxton and Roderick roared in delight. Moira raised her eyebrows, Lord Dellisandro smiled awkwardly as did Lady Dellisandro and Rose cooed at the 'lovely creature' as she called it.

Amelia realized Don wasn't there which was strange but understandable. He seemed to hate the presence of his family more than anything else in he world.

She sat down at the open chair and Mitra stood behind her. She didn't really know how to start so she looked over to Al who nodded and began speaking.

"We need to be thinking about the coming war." There were nods of agreement around the table. "Now this marriage means we fight together. And we need a good battle to start this war. We've got to take High Valley."

"There's thousands of lizards in High Valley." Moira said plainly.

"And how many do we have in our combined armies now?" Al said.

"Twenty thousand. Not including the Knights of the Lake which would make it twenty five thousand." Blaxton said bitterly and everyone turned to Lord Dellisandro. Oliver had told her about the Knights of the Lake. They were said to be some of the finest warriors in the entire kingdom, an incredible asset to their cause. It was the reason Moira had suggested the Dellisandro family in the beginning.

He blustered, "The Knights of the Lake are to stay here and protect Re'na."

"We need those men." Amelia said. "If we're going to win this war then we need those men."

"And who will protect our city?" his voiced raised. 

"I will." she said simply. She wanted to yell at this idiot but she decided she had to be nice if she wanted his knights. "I'll cast every protective spell there is. No one will be able to enter without permission. I'll teach you how to be a secret keeper. Trade can still happen don't worry about losing your economy. But I will keep all enemies away from you."

"I don't believe you." Lord Dellisandro puffed out his chest like he was extraordinarily intelligent for refusing her. 

"Emrys will keep you safe." Moira said fiercely. It was the first time a northerner had called her Emrys and Amelia was touched by the gesture. She sat a little taller after that, and she never could thank Moira enough for the unquestioning loyalty. 

Blaxton agreed with his sister. "I've seen what Emrys can do." he gave her a wink like they now shared some intimate secret which made Amelia simultaneously uncomfortable and reassured. These northerners were potentially the best friends she could have had in Kalishterya. Strong and unyielding like the land they were born to. 

Lady Dellisandro put a hand on his arm, "Kevin, we have to help our queen. I have consulted the gods and the High Vates and they all say the same thing. She will help us. Give her the knights." 

The sun cast a warm glow into the room as Kevin Dellisandro smiled at his wife. "If it would please you my dearest one. Then of course I will give our queen the army she deserves." he took her hand in his and smiled at Amelia, "You may have the Knights of the Lake."

"Thank you Lord Dellisandro. I'll start on the spells right after this meeting." They all agreed that they would march on the High Valley. Amelia would be away at school which made her feel like a child but Al insisted that her learning the most magic she could would be most beneficial for her kingdom. 

"Akkedis wants to destroy magic." he said. "So you go out there and become the best bloody witch in the whole world." 

That night Amelia stood at her window with her arbutus wand, she felt like she should use it for this even though she didn't need it. 

"Fiante Duri." She waved her arm. "Protego Maxima, Protego Totalum, Salvia Hexia, Repello Inimicum, Protego horribilus, Cave Inimicum," and on and on it went until the city of Re'na was entirely protected. 

Emrys went to sleep that night with Mitra curled up beside her. There was no need for blankets with that giant breathing wolf beside her and Amelia slept peacefully that night with no idea of what had just been started. 

Please vote/comment!

Also, I've been trying to get this story out there more, so if you want to, I would love for anyone to nominate it! You just go to the wattpad help center and click the nominations button on the right and fill out the form really quickly! It would mean so much to me!