Part 19: A Meeting in the Hall of a Thousand Trees

Axel leaned back in his chair and watched his brother pull his hair out as he paced across the room.

"I can't believe him. The fucking nerve on that kid." He raged.

"He didn't kidnap her." Axel pointed out.

Brice shook his head. "If you think she went of her own free will you're mad." It was just after sunset and the library was in a dim light that made everything more dramatic than Axel thought was necessary.

"Why wouldn't she go with him? He can offer her food, shelter, protection anything she wants, she can have. It's not a bad deal."

"Can you shut it? She is a prisoner. If that Monatheon boy thinks he is getting away with this he's got another thing coming." Fury oozed from Brice and Axel decided he wouldn't be surprised if his little brother got violent soon.

"What are you going to do, Brice? The Monatheon's rule the entire north. They have one of the best armies in the entire world. Don't be an idiot. You tried that once already and how did it work out for you?" he raised his eyebrows as Brice got a maniacal look on his face.

"I'm not going to fight him. I'm going to fuck him. I'm going to fuck his whole world up until all that's left is a bloody fucking mess."

"Brice," he sighed. "Don Monatheon may be little more than a child but he's one of the most powerful people in the world. And Callie is safe with him. That's all that matters."

"She should be with me."

"Debatable." Axel said under his breath so his brother didn't hear.

"I'll get her back. You'll see." he vowed.

"Just leave her be. You've ruined her life enough as it is." Suddenly he felt anger rush through him. "You told the lizards she had magic and she had to flee the city. She's been on the run for over a year now. Her only crime was that she didn't love you."

"She didn't love you either."

Axel stood up, properly antagonized. "Don't think I don't know that. Of course she didn't love either of us! Why would she? We don't deserve her. Least of all you."

Brice drew a short knife which made Axel snort, "Put that away," he said, "You don't know how to use that. You might hurt yourself."

Brice glowered at him and traipsed from the room. Axel sighed and sat back down, praying his brother didn't do anything stupid. He stood up heavily and walked to the Hall of aThousand Trees. This meeting with the representatives of the Queen's army was not going to be pleasant. Probably highly embarrassing for Axel and very amusing for the representatives. Not that he really cared. Axel was too astute to be bothered by situations like this.

He meandered down the corridors until he reached the Hall of a Thousand Trees. It was named so because they say it took a thousand of High Valley's biggest trees to construct this monument. It was where the Gorodetsky family ruled High Valley and where they would converse with their citizens, decide on court cases, pass laws and other such things. It was a practical room, with a high ceiling, ample seating room along the sides, a vast open floor and a long table at the end of the hall where three chairs sat. Behind this table was a tall window looking out to the dense forest that gave High Valley it's reputation.

Axel walked in and saw the seats along each side of the hall were full of soldiers, not armed or ready to fight in any way, but covered in blood and dirt, weary with bags under their eyes that were desperately trying to keep open. At the table sat a young man who Axel recognized as Alakai, beside him sat Blaxton Monatheon and on the other side of Al was a knight Axel presumed to be Sir Schwann.

He walked to the centre of the room and bowed lowly to those sitting at the head of the table. "My lords." He said graciously.

"Axel Gorodetsky." Al gave a small smile. "We have relieved your city of the lizards."

He smiled courteously and kept his voice level. "I have heard of your exemplary performance on the battlefield, I commend-"

"You bloody fucking should. Our army-" Blaxton began to boast.

"We are not here to flatter each other." Al cut him off quickly. Axel only knew Al for the short period of time he had spent in High Valley. When he was around he made quite the impression. Al was someone who got stuff done. "We are here to discuss what will happen now."

Both Blaxton and Axel kept their mouths shut. Al didn't come from wealth, no one really knew where he came from but he did command authority.

"You have your spies, yes?" He said to Axel who nodded. "Right. Get them into every city. I want to know everything about everyone. Especially Okamila. I want to know what Kenrick Lattantio is up to."

"Think of it done." Axel said and he meant it.

"Next I need you to swear loyalty to the queen when she arrives in Kalishterya this winter. For now you can swear loyalty to the Monatheon's." He gestured to Blaxton who seemed to not be paying attention.

Axel cleared his throat and said, "I swear by all three gods, I give my loyalty to the Monatheon family."

"Good." Al continued. "I also need you to rule High Valley. You're a smart man Axel and I know you'll do a fine job. Now, since you have pledged your loyalty to the Monatheon's, whatever army you have left, comes with us."

"Very well." He nodded. "Where will you go to next?"

Al smirked up there on his seat at the table. Axel didn't care that Al had more power than him. In his time, he had found there was something powerful people often forgot. Knowledge was more powerful than actual power. And Axel Gorodetsky was the most knowledgable man in Kalishterya. So Al could go on smirking if it made him happy.

"I don't think I can discuss plans with you just yet."

That was code for I haven't talked to the queen yet.

"Very well, my lord, " Al stood up and walked around to the front of the table. "Don't try anything stupid while I'm away. And keep that brother of yours under control."

Al strode from the room, Sir Schwann, and Blaxton Monatheon followed, leaving Axel in a room full of dirty, blood soaked soldiers.