Part 14: The Story of the Pendragon's

Al folded up the letter and shoved it in his pocket. Mitra sat in the corner of his tent, sleeping and making quite a bit of noise as she did so. He was trembling slightly, from gods know what, and he had to get going. The army was nearly at High Valley, within the week they would be there. Reports had been sent saying the Gorodetsky's had overthrown the lizards, and then more reports came with news saying it was back in the hands of the lizards. Trust the Gorodetsky brothers to have no idea what they're doing when it came to anything militarized. 

"Sir," a messenger boy in red came bursting into his tent. Furs covered the floor and the sunlight shone through the blue fabric casting it into an almost ethereal light.

"What."

"There's a man here to see you."

"Send him in."

Through the flaps of the tent came a shaggy blonde head wearing a black jacket and smoking a purple cigarette. He gave a small, lopsided grin and Al unconsciously smoothed his already perfect hair back.

"Hey." Jeremy Merlin said.

"Hey." Al wasn't used to being thrown by people, he was used to most people being very impressed by him, but Jeremy wasn't. He didn't seem to care that Al knew everything there was to know about the kingdom, he didn't seem to care that Al was probably one of the most clever people Jeremy would ever meet. It didn't seem that any of those things mattered to him in the slightest.

"What's up?" he took a long drag of his cigarette and Al saw him putting a small black book into his pocket.

"Making battle strategy." Al gestured to the maps spread out on the table. "Got any ideas?"

Jeremy took a few small steps, not breaking eye contact with him until he was right at the maps. He looked down, his fingers lazily tracing rivers and mountains.

"I have a story." his voice was quiet, always a little more quiet than the way most people talked.

"A story."

"Yeah." he gave a sort of laugh, but it wasn't really a laugh. "Yeah, it's a good one. Do you want to hear it?"

"Sure. Distract me from all this." Al smirked and sat down on a chair while Jeremy took another drag and flicked purple ash onto the floor of the tent.

"It's about these rivers," his fingers followed the water on the painted cloth. "Do you know the story the Druids have?"

"Probably."

"I don't think so." his lopsided smile returned. "This one's a secret."

"Really?"

"Only really smart, good-looking people know it."

"Then how the bloody hell did you come to hear it."

"I was the first person they told." Jeremy's smile widened and he continued. "When Akkedis and the lizards first started gaining power, after the Merlin's were betrayed by the Nine Families, they had to flee. But they weren't about to leave without the one family that didn't betray them."

"The Monatheon's"

"No, no, grasshopper." Jeremy inhaled again and released a cloud of purple smoke around them. "The first family that came with them to create Kalishterya, in the very beginning."

Al folded his arms. "You're making this story up aren't you?"

"Maybe." Jeremy shrugged. "But shut up, I'm still talking."

He snorted but let the Merlin boy continue.

"The Pendragon's, from Camelot, wouldn't leave their very closest friend. So they came with the Merlin's. .Do you know the coolest part about Pendragon's?"

"They rode dragons. Everyone knows that."

"But nobody knows what happened to the dragons when the Pendragon's left."

"And I suppose you do."

"You're learning." Jeremy smirked playfully. "Yes, I do know."

"Well come on, don't keep me waiting." Al laughed. He hadn't laughed in a while and it felt nice.

"The Druids, who were always close with the Merlin's and Pendragon's alike, took the great scaly beasts and preserved them in nature, as all the rivers and streams of Okamila. The Pendragon changed their name to Flovios and that was the last they were heard of. The Elves have a prophecy however, that one day, when the Merlin's are restored, Okamila will see dragon's again."

"You're making it up." Al shook his head.

"Maybe." he gave a small smile and finished his cigarette. "Goodnight, Al. It was good talking to you."

"Night Jeremy."

Three days later they had arrived at High Valley. There was a large field outside of the city where the Queen's Army met the lizards. The grass was short and trees the size of mountains lined the edges. On the one side, stood the northerners in their blue war paint and battle axes, and the Knights of the Lake with the pristine armor and gleaming helmets. On the other stood the lizards, they wore simply grey armor with long swords. Al thought they looked rather unoriginal. 

Mitra stood beside him, he was wearing armor too and a sword, although he had no idea how to use it. Alakai stood at the head of the Queen's army while Sapana stood at the head of the lizards. He walked forward with the wolf by his side to the middle of the field where he would confer with the lizard bitch. 

"Sapana." he greeted her coldly. 

"Al." she smiled. 

"We're taking the city." he said plainly. "Surrender or you will all die. It's that simple and you know it."

"We will not give up what is ours." she glowered at him. "You will die for marching against us. You cannot win." 

"Wishful thinking is not going to get you what you want. This isn't one of your precious dreams, this is real life. Our army is bigger and more experienced. This is a battle you cannot win." 

"Akkedis will come to us. And when he does, you better be careful not to fall asleep." she smiled. 

"Very well. I gave you a choice, but violence it will be." he shot at her.

"Violence it is." she agreed. They each turned on their heels, went back to their armies and prepared for battle.