Part 103: King Morpheus

A/N, sorry this one's a little short you guys but I'm so busy and I just wanted to put something out there to keep the story and all though this is a short chapter, it is really important! Thanks for reading and please comment with all your thoughts! I read every comment and I love seeing people respond to anything!

From, Charlotte

Marco strode through the city streets, paying close attention to every small detail he could see. He noticed where people were able to slip unnoticed, he watched the slights of hand and he listened to the whispered conversations. He had never been in Okamila but he wasn't about to let that damper his ability to perform here. The castle wasn't far now, and he could see the tall turrets rising above everything going on below and he knew he wasn't about to settle for less. He'd been on the outside long enough.

Castle Canavar was impressive but Marco didn't stop to behold the sight. He marched up to the gate and with a small flick of his blade he was able to get past the guards without any trouble. He put his keepsakes in a bag and continued. The throne room itself was easy enough to find and the guards there didn't give him any trouble either, but they did make his bag rather heavy.

The newly crowned king was sitting on his throne with his gold and scarlet robes spread around him glamorously. He raised his eyebrows as Marco made his way down the length of the room.

"Koal Lattantio." he said loud enough for all the lords and ladies of the court to hear.

"It's King Morpheus to you." the monarch smirked.

"Is that the name you've chosenthen?" Marco nodded. "Fine. King Morpheus," he resigned from using any sarcasm from this point on. "I have a proposition for you."

"Yes?" King Morpheus motioned for him to come forward. "Let's hear it then, before I feel like cutting your tongue out."

"I want to be the King's Guard."

"That's rather ambitious of you. Why would I want you to?"

"Because I just killed eight of your guards on the way up here and I haven't even broken a sweat." Marco dumped a bag of heads out on the floor. "If you want those morons protecting you then I might as well kill you right now myself. Because there's no way they can stop the Girl Queen marching up to your door and blasting this whole court to smithereens."

"You make a compelling argument." he laughed. "I like you. I think I'll let you stick around then. But don't think for a second I trust you."

"I'll swear any oath you want me to." Marco shrugged.

"Like I would trust that either." his high pitched laugh was cold and made the room stiffen. "No, but I will pay you more gold than you would find any where else. Is that enough to make you stay?"

"Yes."

"Very well. What's your name?"

"Marco."

"Marco, I name you the King's Guard." said King Morpheus.

..............

The man lay on the ground quivering at the king's feet who was laughing his cold laugh. The lords and ladies of the court were pressed against the walls in small huddles, the women refused to look while the men wrapped their arms around them. A man dressed in all black stood at the side of the king. He didn't wear armor like the other guards and he had two long knives rather than a sword.

"You see here," the king was saying. "I don't believe you."

"I swear, your grace." the man shook. "I'm telling the truth."

"But I don't believe you." he hissed. "Marco, I want him to spill. His. Guts."

The man in black walked forwards and drew his two knives. He slashed at the man's belly and blood spattered across the floor in it's dark red color. He reached into the screaming stomach and pulled at the insides until they were outside.

"Cut him off at the knees!" the king shrieked and stood from his throne. "I want him to kneel before his king!"

And the man in black complied. Each knife swung at a leg and the man fell to the ground, sputtering as the same dark liquid that stained the floor was now coming from him mouth.

"Marco," King Morpheus said gently. "I want you to cut him up into nine pieces and send one to each of the Nine Families. I want them to know that I am King now! Send his head to the queen and write a note telling her to come to the city if she dares."

................

When Amelia received the package she burned it in an instant. Turning to Al she said, "Who the hell is King Morpheus?"

"That must be the name Koal chose when he was crowned."

"Chose?"

"Anytime a monarch is crowned they choose a new name. It represents a new self, he is no longer Koal Lattantio, he's King Morpheus and that title means he's a different person, just like his name. You'll have to choose a new one when we crown you as well." Al stood slightly farther away from her than he used to. His hair was rumpled but his robes were pristine.

"Well in that case," Amelia stood from her seat at the table in her chambers of Castle Ortus. "Send King Morpheus a message and tell him I'm coming for him."

"Anything else I should put in this note?"

"Yes. You tell that son of a bitch," the Girl Queen said fiercely. "Amelia Merlin sends her regards."