Part 32: All's fair in love and war

Jeremy and Al sat in the tent shuffling through paperwork. There was a lot that went into a war, supplies, money, and lots of writing. Jeremy mostly played with magic, he made the papers turn into birds and fly around the room, he made the candle light bend and twirl.

"Can you stop?" Al sighed. "We have to do work."

"So?" Jeremy grinned.

"So, you need to work! I can't do this all on my own." he groaned.

"Al, maybe just relax."

"Relax?" Al sighed again. "Yeah not happening. I have so much work to do and I have to do it all on my own so no, I can't relax."

"Al-"

"No, Jeremy. This is important work." he could feel himself getting frustrated, the stress of his job was getting to him. "Not all of us can just sit around and get things handed to us. I've worked my whole life for this and I'm not screwing it up."

"That's not fair."

"It's all fair." Al interrupted, laughing slightly. "Haven't you ever heard that saying? It's all fair in love and war. We're fighting a war right now. Your sister's war. I can and I will do whatever it takes to win."

"It's not all about winning, Al." He said softly. "We have to make sure we still deserve to win."

Al groaned. "Gods, Jeremy! You think I want to win out of some shit reason for my pride? Because this is a game? No, losing would be disastrous. Don't you see that? Losing means we all die. Losing means magic dies and Akkedis gets to rule over my home forever. I know this kingdom better than anyone and I love it better than anyone. I will do whatever it takes to keep this place safe. I don't care if I damn my soul to hell for eternity. I don't care what I have to do.  And if that makes me a terrible pers-"

"I didn't mean that. I'm sorry, you're right." Jeremy took three steps towards him and put a hand on his shoulder. "I spoke out of turn."

"Okay." Al's eyes trained along the floor, for some reason he couldn't look at those blue eyes underneath the stringy blonde hair. Jeremy stepped back and pulled a cigarette out of his pocket. The purple smoke soon filled the room but Al didn't mind. The scent put him at ease now and relaxed him in every way.

Sir Schwann walked into the tent. His chest was puffed out in the usual manner which made him look more important than Al thought he actually was. The knight had his helmet tucked under his arm and was in full armor. One time Al had asked him why he was always in armor and the prick had simply responded that he was always ready for a fight.

"Sir Schwann!" He exclaimed sarcastically. "What do you have for me?"

"The mountain tribesmen do not get along with the rest of the men." he said stiffly.

"Well yes, that was to be expected. Just keep them separated or whatever. Don't let any fights break out." He waved a hand aside.

"There's the issue with the deserter-"

"Marco?" Jeremy said. "That was his name right?"

"Yes." Schwann looked like  he was holding in the biggest shit of his life. "We still haven't found him. We need to make  search party for the coward."

"Explain to me why we would waste good men on finding one man?" Al rolled his eyes.

"He's not just a man. If you had seen him on the battlefield-"

"I don't care what he can do. He's not a threat to us is he?"

"No."

"Then leave it."

"He is a coward who broke his oath-"

"I'm not asking for your opinion anymore." Al said finally. "The issue is dropped."

Schwann left the tent dramatically and Al had to stop himself from laughing. The purple smoke had nearly left the tent entirely, just as Jeremy tossed the butt of the last one into the ash tray he was pulling another one from his jacket pocket. He tapped the end with his wand and mumbled something Al didn't understand.

"It's getting worse." He said. Jeremy nodded silently and took an impressively long drag.

"Don't tell Amelia."

"I won't."

"I had a thought about that deserter, Marco. I could do a tracker spell, I could find him for you. It would make Schwann happy and he needs a win. He's already pissed off about the mountain men and he could really use this. Let me do it."

"Can you do that?" Al raised his eyebrows and Jeremy chuckled.

"I might be a Merlin man but I'm still a wizard. I can do a tracking spell. I'll find him for you before tomorrow." he said softly.

"Alright. You can do it then." he paused. "If you're sure."

"Al!" Jeremy laughed. "I can do a fucking simple spell."

"Okay!" he put his hands up in defense. "But to be fair, you look like shit Jeremy. You look like the wind could knock you down. You look like if you sneezed, your lungs would come out of your nose. If you went for a high five, all your bones would shatter. If you-"

"Shut up maybe" he grinned and shoved the blonde hair out of his eyes. "Can you even do magic Al?"

"Gods no. Hardly anyone in Kalishterya can do it anymore. But I know every single one of the great witches and wizards in this kingdom. Where do you think we're going next?"

"You're going to march an army up to the steps of some wizard and ask them to help us?"

"Not a wizard, a witch. And you're damn right I will."