Part 7: Kenrick Lattantio

Canavar was an impressive castle to say the least. But the chambers where the counsel met to discuss important matters was very bland, which was entirely due to the man who was in charge of them. There was a long wooden table with chairs and three windows and that was it. The windows had large bars on them because sometimes, in the winter, the snow birds (which were rather large sparrow-looking things with white feathers and ice blue eyes) would crash into the window and cause rather a ruckus in the castle. And Lord Lattantio hated a ruckus.

The current Warden of Kalishterya was not a man to be troubled with. Regardless of the fact that he was the ruler until someone with a better claim came along, he was fearsome. Kenrick Lattantio was the most powerful man in the kingdom. Akkedis himself gave a certain amount of respect and distance to Kenrick. He sat at the head of the Lattantio family, with his falcon sigil and his stark white beard, there was no arguing the intimidation most felt when they were around him.

"We need a new Master of Wealth." his words always sounded like they were being choked out of him. "With the last one gone he needs to be replaced immediately." Kenrick strode around the table of the council meeting. They were all powerful men, but they could not hold any sense of entitlement here, in the place where he ruled. "Give me names."

Lord Quaestus, Master of Trade, spoke eagerly, the fat man with a belly bursting from his gold tunic that had sapphire buttons and a charming peacock brooch pinned above his heart. "There's your son, I'm sure he would make a fine-"

"My son is not fit to lead anything." Kenrick said in a robotic, unfeeling voice. His simple black robes had only the pin worn by the Warden, attached over his right side, opposite his heart.

"Lord Dellisandro." The Crow said. Kenrick did not like him much, he suspected the twitchy thing had dealings with all sorts of people. His fingernails were always deplorably grubby which Kenrick despised.

"And why would Lord Dellisandro be a good option?" Quaestus rolled his eyes and twisted his lavish rings around his squashy fingers.

"He's more rich than any of us. Except the Lattantio family of course." The greasy man said. "He's already made an alliance with the Girl Queen so he could give us some insight-"

"The Merlin girl must not be allowed to gain admiration. Not here, not in the capitol of the kingdom." Kenrick glowered over the distinguished, idiotic lords.

"Kevin Dellisandro isn't going to gain her any love here. If anything he will slow down her work. Kevin loves the gods and the gods have no place in Okamila. He cant hope to gain any support. And he would be good to have, it's good to infiltrate your enemies. If we have Kevin it means the Silver Princess won't act out of turn and won't allow her wild northern husband to do so either. The Merlin girl is nothing without her friends." The Crow was out of breath by the time he finished talking. He'd been picking at his dirty nails and there was scum on the table now.

"Fine. Send word to Lord Dellisandro. Tell him the Warden of Kalishterya demands his presence at the court as the new Master of Wealth. Tell him he cannot refuse. Say nothing of the Merlin girl." Kenrick ordered the cupbearer who was serving them. The boy looked terrified and scurried from the room like a mouse from a cat.

Kenrick sat down at the head of the table. "Speaking of this Merlin girl, what news is there of her?" His voice like a growling lion made the table nervous to talk. Except for one man.

"She's here as long as the leaves are green. When they turn, she goes home to whence she came." The Crow wheezed and picked at his nails. "Her army rides for High Valley. To the place where the Gorodetsky-"

"I know who lives at High Valley." Kenrick looked at him coldly. "And I know it is full to the brim with lizards, just like it is here."

"We could send back up to them. Stop the Merlin girl and her army before she gets any stronger." The Master of War counciled.

"If we send troops, then we are publicly supporting the lizards which we cannot do. They are as much our enemy as the Girl Queen is. If not more, she attacks the crown while they attack the faith. And our gods have never been more vulnerable then they are now." Kenrick said. "We cannot fight in the Battle of High Valley. Let them sort it out themselves."

"Let the gods choose wisely." The Master of Vates smiled and everyone looked uncomfortable. It was customary for the Master of Vates to sit on the council, had it been otherwise, Kenrick would have seen that position removed. He had no love in his heart for the gods or for magic, but he did not support the lizards either. They were chaotic and unpredictable, qualities Kenrick Lattantio did not appreciate.

He was getting old in his age and his son would one day take over as Warden of Kalishterya. But not while Kenrick was still breathing, he would rule this kingdom for as long as he could. Not because of power or wealth, but so his family name would always be held in fearsome regard. The Lattantio's were not to be trifled with.

"It isn't wise to sit around and let the Merlin girl do what she likes! Shall we just hand her the throne now and be done with it? There are those in this very city who would pray for her return. It cannot be allowed! The foreign bitch can never rule Kalishterya. Something must be done!" The Master of War protested, banging his fist on the hard table.

The Crow sighed. "Just let it be. She's a girl, don't tell me you're really that afraid of her."

"She's not just a girl." the War Master glowered at him. "She's the Daughter of Wolves."

"And you believe that nonsense?" he gave a wheezy laugh.

"The Elves do."

"The Elves are full of shit and everyone knows is."

"That's enough, Crow." Kenrick snapped. "You're not helping."

"There's nothing to be helped!" he insisted. "She's just a girl! Let it be."