Part 46: Lake Duessa

The same thought kept running through his mind. He could see it over and over again, Al dying. His green eyes lay still and lifeless, his dark hair was no longer combed back to perfection but caked in dirt and blood. Jeremy could see the piles of dead bodies on the battlefield where they lost to the lizards. He could still smell death, it had stained his nostrils so now it was all he could breathe. He remembered surviving under a pile of corpses and when the battle was over, when the dust had settled, how he crawled out and healed himself. How he was able to walk away from the dead bodies. Jeremy could remember creating a grave for his friend and levitating his body into the ground. He could still feel his wand shaking as he carved: Here lies Alakai. A loyal and loved friend. The smartest man you would ever meet.

He stood on the outside of the camp, watching the soldiers milling about. His cigarette was nearly gone but he took deep breaths anyways. Jeremy couldn't go in there, his past self was still there and it was not a good idea to cross paths like that. But he could get away from watching on the outside. He just needed on glimpse before he left, one look was all he needed.

He did not have to wait long before Al walked out of his tent and towards the meal hall. He was wearing black robes, simple and classic. He still walked the same, confident and with such purpose even though he was just going to grab a biscuit or something. Jeremy leaned against a tree where he could observe casually. Everyone tried to talk to Al but he didn't stop for anyone, soon a small group had formed behind him where everyone tried to get their questions in. Jeremy could see Al's grin from where he stood. In a moment he knew Al would walk into that meal tent where past Jeremy would be sitting, waiting to greet him with a fair sized glass of wine and the two of them would joke about how uptight Sir Schwann always was.

Jeremy thought about walking up to him, just telling him everything he was thinking but he knew that was shit. So, angrily he lit another cigarette and inhaled deeply. The purple cloud swirled around him and he tried not to cough anymore.

.............

In the dead of the night, a boy with blonde hair was stepping quietly through Castle Rock. Don had been hiding inside Castle Rock all day and no one had found him. He pushed through the trap door near the dungeon and rolled out with practiced agility. When he stood up he found himself face to face with a pale man who had red lips and black hair.

"Brice Gorodetsky." Don said softly. "How the mighty have fallen."

"Lord Monatheon." Brice bowed his head. "Good to see you, as always."

"How are the dungeons treating you?" he smirked.

"They're fine." Brice shrugged. "Probably better than what awaits you."

"Which is what exactly?"

"Go to the Lake of Duessa and there you'll find a hut. Inside is a woman who is your mother." Brice said matter of factly, completely aware of the bomb that just dropped on the young boy's head.

"No, my mother died years ago." he shook his head.

"No, Blaxton and Moira's mother died years ago. The ever honorable Roderick Monatheon was not so noble after all eh?"

Don said nothing, he glared at the hateful man across from him and wished all manner of hells to hit him.

"Go if you want to, but when you find out it's true. Come find me and I'll tell you how to get revenge on the people who lied to you your entire life and kept you from the one person who could truly be your family."

"You're a lying piece of shit, Brice Gorodetsky." he snarled. "Everyone knows that. Why should I believe you."

"Because you know it's true. You've never been family to them and now you know why." he laughed. "So go, and prove me wrong."

"The Lake of Duessa?" he asked and in the dark Brice nodded. "I'm not going anywhere near it." he snapped and ran from the dungeon, leaving a smirking man alone in his prison cell. Don made his way all through Castle Rock and into the streets of Stone Garden. He knew the city better than anyone, he'd always snuck out as a child, to get away from his brother or father. Finally he was beyond the black stone streets and the night sky stretched above him like a shroud. He finally breathed properly and headed for the forest, determined to stay away from Lake Duessa.