Part 91: A Change in Tradition

To  Don Monatheon,

I wanted to thank you one last time for what you did the other night. I can't tell you how greatly you've helped our efforts. Your service is, as always, much appreciated. I shall write again soon with more information.

Brice Gorodetsky,
High Council Member of High Valley

Koal Lattantio crumpled the note and threw it into the fire. He exhaled quickly and sat back down at the head of the council table. His fingers drummed on his knee while he looked around the table. He looked down at his hand which now held a large ring with the sigil of his house, the falcon, and another ring with an engraved W on it. The Masters of Okamila were watching him carefully, waiting for him to speak first. Koal grinned and looked around at the room. 

"No one has seen Don Monatheon in months. I don't even think his own family is looking for him anymore, let alone the Girl Queen. Someone tell me how we found this letter?" he turned to the Master of Spies, Lord Rosenburg, who viewed his oily palms carefully before answering.

His thin, reedy voice said, "It came from Lord Gorodetsky's personal messenger, who we have employed in our services. This is the first letter he has ever addressed to Lord Monatheon."

Koal pretended to think carefully about the information before he spoke again, "Is there any information about the location of Don?"

"No, my lord."

"Well get on that. If we can find him, he'll be much easier to break than Brice." Koal said firmly, his jaw was clenched so hard he was getting a headache.

"My lord, as we already know the whereabouts of Lord Gorodetsky, would it not be more prudent to figure out what we can from him?" the Master of Wealth spoke up, raising a heavily jeweled finger.

Koal laughed which made the room stiffen but he pretended not to notice, "No, no trust me. I grew up seeing Brice Gorodetsky and his brother at jousting tournaments, weddings, and all sort of things. We won't find anything from Brice. You'd have a better chance at wrestling a dragon-" the mention of a magical creature also unsettled the room which made his mouth widen. 

"Very astute, my lord." The Crow spoke up in his wheezy voice. "If I may add something, I would like to say that my people can find the young Lord Monatheon in a fortnight,"

"Very well, have it done." Koal nodded enthusiastically.

"If they are paid properly, that is."

Koal turned to the Master of Wealth, "Give the Crow whatever he needs. Don is  priority, he's the key to the north now that the Silver Son has disappeared. And if he's working with one of the other Nine families, we need to know what's happening."

"I couldn't agree more," The Crow smiled, a wide and yellow smile. Koal dismissed the meeting and asked the Crow to remain behind. "My Lord?" the man wheezed at him.

Koal Lattantio fidgeted with his hands, twisting the new ring around and around. "You see here, Crow, I need some advice."

"Anything for the new Warden of the kingdom." the Crow bowed his head.

"Yes, yes that's just the thing." Koal twitched nervously, "I don't think I'm very good at this whole, Warden thing. What are your thoughts?"

The Crow brushed his greasy hair out of his face and looked seriously at Koal, "You need to be different from your father. Kenrick Lattantio was an excellent Warden, he kept the peace, he kept things strict, and he was tough. Be different, but not in every way."

Koal looked out of the window and fiddled with the new ring on his finger until he found a spot where it felt comfortable. "You're exactly right, Crow. Exactly right. Father was strong, wasn't he?"

"Yes, my lord."

"I should try to emulate that in my rule of the kingdom." the young lord raised his eyebrows and turned back to the fat man who'd made a strange noise, "What is it?"

"Temporary rule, my lord. The Warden always has a temporary rule until the rightful monarch comes along." The Crow smiled carefully and bowed his head.

"Yes well," Koal twitched his lips, "I plan to, how could I put it? Change tradition? Yes I think that's a good one, I'm going to change tradition, Crow. This city is going to have a ruler like they've never seen before."

"Yes, my lord. I'm sure they will." The Crow bowed his head again and backed out of the door.

................

"Council Masters!" Koal shouted exuberantly as they entered the long throne room one by one. They walked down the length of the hall until they stood at the foot of the throne. Koal was lounging on the throne, wearing gold emerald robes, his hand fell gracefully on the arm rest of the throne, showing off his large ring. "How grand for all of you to join me today!"

They stared at him and Koal grinned, waiting for one of them to speak.

"My lord," Lord Rosengburg, Master of Spies, approached carefully, "I must ask, why are you on the throne?" he spoke in hushed tones with his back slightly hunched.

"Ah! I'm so glad you asked, Rosenburg!" Koal drummed his fingers on the side of the throne. "You see here, I think that it is time for things to change. My family has been temporarily ruling the kingdom for centuries, and I think it's damn time we sit on the throne? Don't you all agree?"

The Masters said nothing, they kept as still and frozen as ice. Koal smiled widely at them, he was the only person in the room who dared to breathe. The beat of his fingers on the gold throne was the only noise in the spacious room.

"I am glad we're on the same page." he laughed loudly and smacked his hand on the armrest. "So! Down to business my dear friends! The reason I have called all of you here, and I assure you, there is a very good reason, is to ask Lord Rosenburg a question. And I need witnesses, hence all of you." he clapped his hands and beckoned the Master of Spies forward. "My question to you is, where is Don Monatheon?"

"My-my lord?" he blinked profusely. "You only gave me the assignment yesterday?"

"Yes well, when Brice Gorodetsky and I were on speaking terms he knew everything about everyone everywhere at every moment of every day!" he laughed again and then dropped his voice seriously. "So tell me, why you don't know where he is?"

"My-my lor-"

"My-m-my-my-" Koal mocked him. "Don't be an idiot, Rosenburg. Obviously you're too dense to figure out a response. Guards, hold him down please." he said lazily. The men in armor strode forward and grabbed Rosenburg's arms, pinning him down onto the floor. The other Masters backed up with small little steps which made them look like children.

"My lord!" Rosenburg screamed. "My lord please!"

"Please? Is that the best you can do? You see," he jumped down from his throne and knelt in front of the Master of Spies so they were eye to eye. "I can't have you as the Master of Spies if you don't do a very good job at spying." he smiled and kissed Rosenburg on the forehead.

"Guards?" he stood up and went back to his throne. Koal sounded bored with the idea but when the guard pulled out a large sword and raised it above his head, the young Warden looked ecstatic. He grinned and his eyes flashed as blood spattered the floor at the foot of his throne.