Part 98: The Manor and The Diner

Amelia walked down the cobbled street with her hands deep in the pockets of her black coat. Her hair was loose and her heels knocked on the ground with every step. It was still cold out despite being springtime but she didn't have to feel the cold unless she wanted to. She was nearly there, her heart was pounding against her ribs when she got to the gate. Peacocks roamed the lawn out front and with a single touch on the wrought iron, the gate swung open and she entered the property of the Malfoy Manor. Amelia walked up the path to the front door of the mansion, in the dim evening light it looked ominous and not the sort of place one should go alone.

Despite that, she knocked on the door.

Narcissa Malfoy answered and stood with a forced demeanor, as though she were supposed to intimidate Amelia. In a sort of way, Amelia was reminded of her own mother. The tight black robes and hair scraped back so not a lock was out of place were all too familiar.

"We are not taking visitors at the moment." she snapped. "What do you want?"

"I'm here to see Draco." Amelia smiled politely. "I'm a friend from school, it would probably be best if you let me in." Manipulating Narcissa with magic was one of the easiest things Amelia had done, the woman had barely any strength left in her.

"I'll call for him. Come here, you can wait in the parlor. Draco will be down in a moment."  she left her in a room with stiff black couches and a burning fireplace. Amelia chose to take a seat and wait until Draco came. Her heart was still racing and she tried to remain calm by muttering a few spells to keep herself safe and their conversation secret. When he came into the room she stood up and half smiled at him.

"Hey."

"Hey?" he raised his eyebrows. "What are you doing Merlin?"

"I need your help."

"Really?" she could tell he was skeptical. "With what exactly?"

"I need to find something and you're the only person who can help me, Draco." Amelia stood up and walked towards him. He folded his arms waited for her to elaborate. "Do you promise to help me?"

"Why don't you tell me what you're up to, Merlin." he said sullenly.

"Can you please promise me? Before I tell you?"

"What sort of idiot-"

"Draco," she pleaded. "You're the only person who can help me."

"What are you up to? Just fucking tell me." his eyes narrowed.

"Fine." Amelia snapped.  "I need the baby. Where is he?"

Draco's mouth fell open and promptly shut. "I don't know what you're-"

"Don't fucking lie to me." she said quietly. "I'm asking you nicely. So either you can help me, or I can force you to. Which I don't want to because believe it or not, I care about you Draco. This is your chance." Amelia took his hand. "Just help me."

"I can't do that, Merlin." he shook his head. "They'll kill me, you know that."

"No, I can protect you. I promise you, I could keep you safe, I really really can." she vowed, her eyes begged him to agree to her.

"It's too late. They already have him."

"It's not too late, I can save him and I can save you too if you just let me, Draco please."

"I'm sorry, Amelia." he whispered and she could feel his whole body shaking.

"I'm sorry too." she said. "But I need to find him."