Part 100: The Dance of the Dead

The swamp was darker than he remembered. The trees blocked out any light that could possibly come in, the mud under his feet was a dark black color and it had an awful smell, like rotting animals. Al's hurried steps caused the black sludge to splash up on his heels and stain his robes but he trooped on. His hair fell in his eyes and he was breathing so hard that his face was bright red, his arms were sore from carrying the screaming child and pulling the cart where Jeremy was lying. The path was clouded in darkness, it made it impossible to see where he was going and twice Al swore he found himself walking in circles. It was three hours before he found the hut. He almost tripped as he ran towards it and his heart felt like it was going to fall out of his chest.

He knocked, no, he pounded, he beat the door with his fist with as much ferocity he could muster. Al bounced the squealing child until she finally answered the door.

"You came." she smirked and opened the door wide enough so he was able to run in. "And you brought the Silver Son."

"Yeah, I'd think that's pretty fucking obvious." he snapped. "Can we get on with this?"

She lead them to a large table that was empty save for a white cloth that covered everything. "Lie the Merlin boy here, put the Silver Son by his head." Al did as he was told, Jeremy moaned as he was thrown onto the table and the baby finally stopped crying. "You need to leave." the witch said.

"I'm not going anywhere." he snarled.

"No one is allowed inside." her voice turned low, the wind whipped outside in the swamp. "The Dead will dance here tonight and no one is allowed inside."

Al debated for just one second before he went outside. This was his one chance to save Jeremy and he wouldn't mess it up due to his stubbornness. It was freezing out, it wasn't supposed to be this cold this time of year. He stood with his back against the door.

Sounds started coming from within. Shrieks that didn't belong to any earthly creature pierced through every fibre of his being, he felt like ice was crawling through his veins and freezing his heart. He slid down the wall and pressed his hand over his ears so he didn't have to hear anything.

...........

"What the hell are you talking about?" she tried to keep her voice level. "Why is this just coming to me now? How long have you known?"

"Look," Eli sighed. "I've explained this a million times to a million people, nothing can be done. The moment Al made his choice it was inevitable."

"That was not your call to make!" Amelia pulled at her fingers. "You have no authority-"

"I know what's going to happen!" he shouted. "I know."

"That's enough." she snapped. "Leave." she pointed to the door. Eli glared  at her but did as she told him. Amelia breathed heavily and looked around the room at the rest of the group. Moira Monatheon stood in the corner beside Mitra and stroked the wolf's fur. Benvolio and Thibeault Roscureaux waited by the fireplace and Caritas Bellgarathon was sitting in a chair observing the group. Oliver was standing by the window, Amelia looked at him and instantly knew what he was thinking.

"All of you," she said. "Leave me." Thibeault looked like he wanted to refuse, as did Caritas, but Moira dragged both men out of the room. Benvolio gave Amelia a sad smile and pat Mitra on the head before walking out.

Oliver went over to her and put his hand on her back. "I'm sorry, Amy. I'm so sorry. This is so shit in so many ways."

"When does he get back?" her throat felt tight.

"Tonight. Al's bringing them back tonight."

"Does anyone know what happened?"

"No. There's been a hundred different rumors, none of them from anyone reliable."

"Okay," she let out a shaky breath. "Okay, okay, okay. We need - we need a plan. Let's go over options."

"Are you sure? Why don't we just wait until he comes, I don't think it's a good idea to overthink this. Amy-"

"Please, just help me." her fingers were pulling at each other. "Please, I need to be prepared."

"Amy. Just talk to me first, okay?" Oliver put his hand on her shoulder. "You need to make sure you're okay first, because you can't do anything rational if you're not in a good head-space. Talk to me."

Amelia looked at him, her face had fallen and she looked completely resigned. "If I start thinking about how I feel about this, there is no possible way I can do this. I can't be Amelia Merlin right now, I have to be the queen."

............

The shrieks had stopped and the witch opened the door. It was still cold and Al's hands had welded to his ears.

"You can come in now." she said. He stood up and entered the hut. "There," she pointed to the table where he lay still. "I gave you what you asked for."

Al walked over to him and something looked wrong. He looked alive and he didn't look sick anymore but - but something was wrong.

"Jeremy?" Al put his hand on his chest and looked down at the frigid body. "Hey, Jeremy- What did you do to him?" he whipped around and turned to the witch.

"I gave him his life. He will live for years after this. I gave you what you asked." she folded her arms.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" he screamed. "He isn't moving! He didn't even look at me, he isn't moving! That is not living!"

"He has a life. That's what you asked for." the witch snarled at him.

"You fucking bitch!" Al's fingers tugged at his hair. "You're insane! I need him to be alive! What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"I won't repeat myself again. But if you sit down, I'll explain." she narrowed her eyes and Al felt himself fall into a chair, his limbs didn't feel like they had any sustenance to them. "The Silver Son has a life and a soul, Jeremy has a soul but no life, I have a life but no soul. For years I have delved into the deepest pits of dark magic and I am damned to the deepest pit of hell. But if you think I'm going then you're insane." she paced back and forth, and Al could hear the words but he barely understood them. "So I did a swap. I took the child's life and gave it to Jeremy, leaving the Silver Son with his own original soul means he will go to the After. I took Jeremy's soul and gave it to myself so when I die I'm going to the After. I gave you what you asked, everyone got what they wanted."

"Don't you dare try to justify yourself." Al shook his head. "You murdered him, and you murdered the child."

The witch frowned and rubbed her forehead. "Yeah, the thing is, I'm not really sure what the Silver Princess did to her child, but that baby is still breathing."

"What?"

"I gave his life to Jeremy but he's still alive."

...................

Oliver brought her another cup of tea. "Al's at the gates." he said.

She jumped out of her chair. "Who's he with?" 

"They're all alive."

"What? That's impossible. Eli told me what Al was trying to do, there's no way everyone made it out alive." Amelia shook her head.

"I don't know, Amy. I didn't see for myself. I don't know anything more than you do."

"Okay." she closed her eyes for a moment so she could think. "I want to see Al first. Bring him in here so I can here the whole story."