Part Nine: The Gorodetsky Brothers

"Father wouldn't be so upset if you hadn't gotten him mad in the first place." Brice shot at his brother.

"And I wouldn't have had to get him mad if you hadn't been an idiot." Axel spoke to Brice like he was a child. Not angry, but disappointed and patronizing.  "Don't get mad at me. It won't help anyone."

"I just want that nasty hag out of our city. But father won't do anything." They walked through the halls of Ipsum, the palace at High Valley. It was a fairly simple looking place but it was grand enough for most people. Suits of ancient armour lined the walls and there were paintings of old battles. It used to be one of the grandest places in the kingdom, it was the centre of trade and magic. But when Akkedis came in, he tore High Valley down to it's bones.

The library was the most beautiful room, filled to the ceiling with books bound in rich leathers. The books were filled with stories, songs and prophecies alike. Centuries ago, the druids would come here to write down all their magic. Those books were kept in the restricted section now if they hadn't already been burned.

Most people weren't allowed into the Great Library of Ipsum, but the family was. And the two young men made good use of it. The Gorodetsky brothers each wore similar black robes, where Axel's were plain his brothers were embroidered in gold. They walked into the library where they could speak without being heard.

"We need to do something." Brice urged. He was thin, with beady eyes and dark red lips. Axel on the other hand was somewhat rounder with big eyes and thick hair.

He sighed. "I agree. We're going to need to work together if we're going to win. Which I assume is the plan."

"Father is weak for allowing those fanatics into our home." Brice spat and Axel's silence constituted agreement. "My spies say The Girl Queen's army marches for High Valley as we speak. We cannot let them take it from us. We have to be the ones to reclaim our own city." He said fervently.

"Yes, we must. My spies as well have brought news. They say the lizards are conferring at the house were the nasty hag, as you so eloquently put, is staying."

"I'm not slaughtering hundreds of men. Even if they are lizards."

Axel rolled his eyes. "I'm not suggesting we do that. What do you take me for? No. If we want people to do things for us the best way to do that is to make them happy. Honestly, haven't you worked with anyone before?"

Brice tensed at the jab from his older brother. "I'll have you know my slave-"

"I wouldn't talk about that deplorable business of yours." He looked disgusted. "Especially not when the Girl Queen comes. My spies say she does not approve of those customs, she wouldn't like you putting her kind into chains."

"Fine. People can judge my deplorable business all they like but the truth is, slaves know more about the working of the world than any of them. Their information is more accurate than your spies. And it's not like every other city doesn't have the same damn thing."

"Oh stop blabbering on. I'll deal with the lizard issue. You stick to your slaves." Axel strode from the library leaving his little brother red faced and alone.

They had never agreed, the Gorodetsky brothers. They were infamous for their constant fighting. Most didn't even know how it started but Axel could pinpoint the moment he started to hate the wretch he was related to.

One time a page had asked him about it he said, "My lord, why do you and your brother not get along?"

Axel sighed and put his quill down. "We both loved a girl. The same beautiful, wonderful girl. And he drove her from the city because she did not love him."

"Did she love you?"

"No. But she liked me well enough. Maybe given time she could have."

And that was that. It always came down to love. No matter what the situation, love drove everything. Axel's love for that beautiful, wonderful girl had driven him to hatred for his brother.

But now he had another problem to deal with. The lizards had to be eradicated and now was the time. Sapana, the nasty hag, was bringing the lot of them together. All Axel had to do was tell them an army was coming to slaughter them, an army led by the Girl Queen, and they would leave. Especially if he provided horses, food and tents for them to pass safely through the Gentle Woods and find their sanctuary elsewhere.

He finished talking to the Master of Food and had everything sorted then set way for Sapana's home. High Valley was sort of nice. It had good homes that were sensibly built, nothing too beautiful, it had a fine market with good trade and Axel was happy with his home. He would do whatever it took to keep it a happy place and if his father was going to allow lizards to do whatever they liked, Axel would stop it.

He was almost at the door of the large stone house where the lizard bitch lived when he heard a tumultuous thundering of horse hooves. Cavalry stormed the street and leading them was Brice, wearing fine armour and a sword he had never used in his life. They carried torches and oil, they would burn that house with everyone in it if they had to.

With a smug look he commanded his troops, "Get the lizards out of there. If they surrender I grant them safe passage to leave the city. If not," he looked right at his brother. "Slaughter every last one of them."

Half the lizards ended up dying that night while the rest flees for their lives. The streets flowed with their blood and screams could be heard ricocheting across the stone.

That night after dinner, back in the library, Axel had a talk with his brother.

"What the hell were you thinking?" He quivered with anger.

"I did what had to be done." Brice boasted.

"You're insane. You can't kill people just because they don't follow your rules." He didn't raise his voice, but oozed a quiet rage.

"The lizards are maniacal. They sacrifice people. You know they do. I've heard the rituals. They kill anyone with the slightest inkling of magic. They-"

"Stop trying to justify what you did. All you want is power. That's why you did what you did tonight." Axel felt sick just looking at him. "You'd watch the world burn if you could be king of the ashes."