Part 40: The Department of Mysteries

As she flew through the city of London on the back of a winged skeletal horse, her one reassurance that she had made the right decision was sitting behind her with his hands wrapped around her waist for stability. Amelia knew she couldn't leave him, if she did then who would be there to protect him?

"You alright?" his voice tickled her ear and she nodded.

"Yeah I'm good."

"I know it wasn't an easy choice, Amy."

"It actually was." she whispered and was unsure whether he heard her or not. They flew in silence until they reached the Ministry of Magic. Once they arrived the group wasted no time getting to Level Nine where the Department of Mysteries was. They walked into the Entrance, Amelia dawdled at the back of the group and it took her a moment to get her surroundings. They stood in a room with twelve black doors standing in a circle around them. The second the door behind them closed with a crisp smack, the others started to spin viciously around them which threw everyone off balance. When they stopped, Amelia looked at Oliver and his blue eyes crinkled into a small comforting smile which she couldn't help but return. They followed the rest of the group through the first door which lead them to something Amelia felt very confused by.

It was a long mostly empty room that was lit by low hanging lamps. In the middle stood an enormous glass tank full of a deep green water that was large enough for them all to swim in. Pearly objects floated around in it and upon closer inspection Amelia realized what they were.

"They're brains." Hermione sounded both fascinated and repulsed. It didn't take long before they all decided to leave the Brain Room. Oliver put his hand on the small of Amelia's back and gently pushed her from the room. She turned to look at him and saw how disgusted he looked.

"What is it?"

"I hate that room. That was awful."

"They're just brains-"

He shook his head fiercely. "Those were not just brains, Amy. There was something else with them."

Once back in the Entrance chamber the doors spun again. This time they opened a door and Amelia recognized the space. She pushed past Oliver and Neville until she stood beside Harry. She turned to look at him and his face was focused on the sight ahead of them.

The room they were in now was a near replica of the wizarding courts. Amelia could remember watching her father's trial in a room almost exactly like this. The benches lined the walls and the amphitheater style arrangement was all too familiar. She walked down the benches towards the truly fascinating part of the room. A crumbling stone archway stood in the middle with what looked like a tattered veil hung inside it. She felt drawn to it, Harry and Luna both walked beside her until the three of them stood right next to the veil.

"Do you hear that?" Luna's musical voice sounded, her head cocked to the side like a bird who had spotted something unusual.

Amelia couldn't tear her eyes away from the veil. She knew exactly what Luna had been talking about. She could hear- something. It sounded like - like whispers. Amelia breathed and felt like she could hear someone trying desperately to talk to her.

"I hear them too." Harry said, taking a step closer to the arch.

"We should leave." Oliver called out to the three of them. "We shouldn't be here."

Amelia shook her head and whispered to no one in particular, "No, this is exactly where we should be." Her hand reached forward to touch the archway. Someone was on the other side, someone who knew her-