Part 6: 7356

7356's hands were stained blue from the dye they used in the back of the shop for the silk. She was pretty sure her hands were going to be permanently colored that way but she didn't care, it was the least of her worries. She saw a small glass mouse scatter across the floor and smiled slightly. She liked little magic things like that. She let out a rattling cough that made the back of her throat hurt and her eyes water. 7256 kept coughing and her face turned red, she leaned against the wall for support as she hunched over.

She looked around nervously as her cough got worse. When she saw the coast was clear, she put a hand to her chest and a small blue light went from her hand into her chest, her cough relaxed and 7356 stood up straight, feeling better than she had in days.

"Did you just do what I think you did? You evil little bitch, they warned me about you." her master came in from the front of the shop, with a large pair of shears in his hand. He was wearing dirty robes that were much too small for him as they stretched over his belly which hung over his belt. He was balding and red-faced with large hands and small eyes. She hated him but there was nothing she could do. "I don't ever want to see that magic again in my shop, do you hear me? They'd kill me if they found I was harboring a witch"

His breath stank as he jabbed a finger into her shoulder. 7356 backed up against the wall and turned her face away from him, her eyes fell to the ground and she watched the little glass mouse nibbling at the side of the wall.

"Yes, sir. I'm sorry."

"You will never fucking do that again." Spit flew from his dirty mouth and she grimaced.

"Yes, sir. I'm sorry." she repeated.

"I should give you back to the Poachers. I don't give a damn if this is the last day I have you for." he shook his head and walked away.

The Poachers were the ones who found magical people and took them away from their homes, so they wouldn't be a 'threat to their families'. Anyone who did anything that was considered too magical was sent to the Poachers, usually the families didn't even protest. They were given a number and taught how to please their masters. That's where 7356 learned the words "Yes, sir. I'm sorry."

Although working in the shop wasn't pleasant, she didn't have it half as bad as some of the other slaves she had seen when the Poachers first took her. At least she wasn't working in a brothel or in the mines.

Technically, she thought to herself as she started sweeping the floors, technically she didn't even belong to the master. He was only renting her for a short time and then she would go back to the Crow. He owned most of the slaves in Okamila and rented them out to small business owners who couldn't afford to keep one full time.

7356 didn't mind working for the Crow. He gave her a bed so she didn't have to sleep on the floor and she got one meal and two snacks every day, which was more than a lot of slaves in the Great City of Okamila.

When she finished with the chores, she handed the master her apron and he gave her a small bag full of little bronze coins to give to the Crow. He grumbled something rude as she left but she didn't care. 7356's day of work was done and now she could go home and maybe, if she was lucky, there might be a mushy banana left over from the Crow's meal four days ago. She walked quickly through the streets, keeping her head down so to draw less attention to herself.

Slaves in Okamila were very obvious to an outside observer. 7356 tugged at the large iron collar around her neck as it chaffed uncomfortably. She was barefoot with a dirty rag wrapped around her body. Some of the high lords, with their colourful robes and feathers in their hair laughed when they saw her.

"Just got off work did ya darling?" they called.

"Come work for me, I'll treat you better than they can!" they whistled.

7356 ignored them and walked faster.

"Hey, sweetheart! Don't walk away!" One of them strode towards her. His strides were long and he caught up with her quickly. "We just want to talk." he grabbed her arm.

She glared at him and a shock went through her, electrocuting the man who touched her. He yelped and let go immediately.

"What the hell?" he hissed. "You bitch."

He glowered at her but backed away to his friends.

"Just leave me alone, please." her voice shook with fear. Next thing she knew, 7356 found herself running down the streets of Okamila, her arms over her head to protect it from the rocks that flew towards her. She turned the corner and lost them, resting against the wall of a small house, she tried to catch her breath. The rattling cough had caught up with her and she heaved, trying just to breathe.

7356 thought about using magic to help it, but then decided it wasn't worth the risk. So she walked back to the Crow's mansion, into the basement and lay down on her bed until the coughing subsided. Someone knocked on the door and her friend, Isaac walked in.

"You okay?" he asked. He was so tall he had to lean over in the small basement area.

"Yeah." she smiled and sat up.

"I brought you something." Isaac pulled a banana from his pocket. It wasn't mushy, or four days old, it was ripe and perfect.

7356 shook her head, "This is too much."

"No, it isn't." he rolled his eyes and left it beside her on the bed before leaving the room. She looked at it carefully before grinning to herself and peeling it so she could have a taste. She ate three bites, chewed them each for as long as possible before swallowing, then folded the peel over the top and saved the rest for the morning.