Part 33:Give Me One Good Reason Not to Kill You

"Give us one good reason we shouldn't kill you." The men in black threatened.

"If I had a knut for every time I heard that." Marco grumbled under his breath.

"What did he say?" the stupid one asked and pushed his knife closer to Marco's throat.

"I said," His green eyes rolled dramatically. "You shouldn't kill me because Kenrick Lattantio is going to want to hear what I have to say. And if you want to win this war against the Girl Queen then you should take me to him before chopping my head off."

"I recognize you. You're from Re'na. Come on, we'll take him to the Crow first. Get him on his feet." A tall blonde man said. "I'm Isaac." he introduced himself as he pulled Marco off the ground. The four men in black had ambushed him along the road to Okamila. Apparently Marco had tripped along one of the wires they had rigged so they would know who was entering the city from the back gate, as it was usually forbidden. The forest floor was dappled with sunlight filtering through the trees. They walked silently towards the enormous grey walls that surrounded the great city of Okamila. The door that Marco had intended to break his way into, opened for them and they walked through. The back roads of Okamila were disgusting. Drunks and whores lined the streets and everything stank. The scent of vomit and piss filled the air as well as the cheap perfume from the whore house. They walked for nearly twenty minutes and as they went it became obvious to Marco these men in black were feared by a great number of people. The whores didn't approach them with their offers and the drunks stuck to themselves. Children would scamper around them rather than weaving between their legs. Marco snorted to himself which made Isaac turn around and give him a questioning look.

It was also obvious that Isaac was the leader here. The other men let him stay closest to Marco. The  slight aura he gave off was one of command. When they finally reached the dingy building that was their destination, they let Isaac go up first. Marco stood in the narrow hall with the peeling paint outside a small room where Isaac was inside with who Marco assumed was the Crow. Marco could feel sweat building up on his hands and running down his back. The house had barely any windows and downstairs he could hear dozens of voices, some of them sounded like children.

The door opened suddenly and Isaac nodded for Marco to come in. His hands were still bound as he looked about the room. It was overflowing with small pieces of parchment and black bottles of ink. There was a large black quill on the desk and one window on the opposite wall that overlooked an alleyway where Marco could smell something had died. The man sitting at the desk was most definitely the Crow. He had greasy hair and dirty fingernails. He wore a large black silk shirt that exposed his chest hair and stretched over his belly. His eyes were small and dark.

Isaac leaned against the wall behind the Crow, beside him stood a small boy who Marco payed no attention to.

"Isaac here says you are valuable." The fat man wheezed.

"Potentially valuable." The blonde man corrected and smiled slightly, Marco decided he didn't like Isaac.

"Yeah, well I am."

"Why?" The Crow leaned forward and pressed his hands together in front of his face like he was praying.

Marco took a deep breath before starting. "I was a soldier in the Girl Queen's army. I know their plans and their strategies. I know how they fight. I know their targets. I know where they're weak. I know where their strong. I can beat them."

Nobody moved. The stillness in the muggy room didn't fit with the chaos that ensued in the rooms below them. A small fly was buzzing around Marco's ear but he didn't swat at it. He was waiting for the Crow to say something. The greasy man leaned back in his chair and smirked.