Part 79: Incantations in the Forest

Amelia yanked her hands out of his and with a shoving motion Eli flew five feet away from her before slamming into a tree. The back of his head made a loud noise and Rose protested by glaring at Amelia but with one cutting movement the Silver Princess was unable to speak. The Girl Queen was not in the mood to hear anything she had to say. Stalking towards the boy with the mischievous eyes like a tiger, she shouted at him, "Where the hell did you learn those words?"

"Don't be upset." he groaned and rubbed the back of his head. "I'm not a lizard."

Amelia stuck her hand out and he levitated off the ground, "Who taught you those words?" she demanded.

"No one, I heard them in a dream." Eli vowed. She glared at him and he slammed to the ground.

"Why would you use them? You don't understand what they do!" she cried. "You have no idea what those words are capable of!"

"They can find Silvio." he picked himself up off the ground and brushed the leaves from his jacket. "I know they can."

"Do you know what else they do?" Amelia ran her fingers anxiously through her hair. "No, you don't because you have no fucking clue what magic like that can do!"

"It's different from your magic." Eli took a step towards her and despite the chill of the wind Amelia couldn't stop shivering. "You don't understand it, therefore you can't control it. But I can."

"You're working for him, aren't you? You're with those fucking lizards." she spat at him.

"I'm not." he said firmly. "I'm not working for anyone. I just want to help find Silvio and figure out what my own magic means so I can help other people."

"Why." she demanded.

His jaw clenched and his hair blew in the wind. Eli's face turned grim as he said, "Someone killed my brother. And I need to find them and without magic there's no way I'll be able to bring his memory any justice whatsoever."

"So you want me to help you so you can go kill someone? Yeah, no." she folded her arms. "I'm not assisting in your murder."

"That's a little rich, coming from you." Eli said quietly and looked at Rose but the Silver Princess wasn't focused on the conversation. Her silver head was turned upwards and she stared at the space between the leaves at the stars. Amelia realized in that moment how meaningless their conversation was, Silvio was missing and she didn't have a choice but to help them.

"Look," she shook her head. "The decisions that I've had to make are different from yours, I'm in a completely different situation. Don't you dare judge me." her voice pleaded with him to understand.

Eli observed her and nodded, "Alright. Will you help us?"

"Yes." she breathed heavily and stepped towards him. He smiled as she took his hands and together they chanted the words that had haunted the Girl Queen for years. Amelia started to feel something, it wasn't like normal magic, it was like she was falling asleep. She could feel her eyelids starting to get slowly heavier and her pulse slowing down. As her breathing got deeper, Amelia felt herself fall to her knees and then her head collided with the ground. Eli went with her and still clutched to her hands like a they were his only life-line. The trees around her blended together and Amelia faded into darkness.

.....

"What did you see?" The Girl Queen came back to reality as Rose shook Eli awake. The sun was just breaking through the trees and birds sang, signifying the very start of a new day. "What did you see?" the Silver Princess cried again.