Part 77: The Legend of The Eye

"I'm not leaving, Al. So stop mentioning it, okay? I make my own decisions." Amelia glared at him as she paced the lord's chambers at Castle Ortus. It was just before noon so the room was full of a brilliant golden light. They could hear people playing in the waters of the lake below the castle. They had been rebuilding the city from the damage of the battle with Amelia's help. Her magic was invaluable in the efforts to make Re'na what it once was. In the three days she had been there, the city was nearly completed and she had already assembled a task force to rid the city of any remaining lizards who may be lurking about.

"Amelia, you have to go back to school! You can't stay here!" Al said. "Don't be stupid! You're education, you getting better at magic is the most important thing! It's all that is going to help you fight Akkedis!"

"I'm not even the one in the prophecy, Al! And nobody at that school can teach me anything." she rolled her eyes at him. "I need to stay here. I left for a few weeks and the Dellisandros betray us, we get into a full out battle in one of the most sacred cities in the kingdom and we nearly lost. I'm sorry if my duties here are more important than wasting time at that school."

"For fuck's sake," Al growled.

"Don't swear at me." she chastised.

"Look, you need to get better at magic." he said. "You won't be able to fight Akkedis when the time comes-"

"I'm not the one in the prophecy. I'm not going to fight him."

"Then you're an idiot." he shot at her.

"Al!"

"I mean it." Al was not someone who had ever told Amelia what she wanted to hear, his honesty was usually extremely annoying. "If you think that Akkedis is going to let you live, let you grow up, get married, have lots of babies who can all fulfill the prophecy, than you're a fucking idiot."

"Don't talk to me like that." she snarled at him.

"It's the truth, Amelia. You need to be the best possible version of who you are in order to win this game."

Amelia couldn't argue with him. She wanted to so badly, her heart was pounding and her breathing was heavy with anger. "You can't keep talking to me like that. I'm your queen, not your - your student."

Al raised his eyebrows at her, he seemed almost impressed. "You're right." he conceded.

"So apologize to me."

"What?"

"Tell me you're sorry for being rude."

His eyes narrowed slightly but he did as she asked. "I'm sorry, Amelia."

"Thank you." she sighed and sat down heavily. "And you're right, by the way, I know I should go back. I just really don't want to."

"Why?"

Amelia wrinkled her face and stood up as quickly as she had sat. "I don't know. Everything that I said before, Fred isn't there, and it's all weird between me and Oliver ever since he told me he loves me - why are you laughing at me?"

"Sorry." he chuckled. "I can't believe the kid actually got the balls to tell you. I thought he would never get around to it."

She gave him a scathing look, "Shut up, please." Al just shrugged and fixed a loose strand of hair.

"Here, I know something to give you motivation to get back to Hogwarts." he grinned at her doubtful expression. "I sent Rose Monatheon to go see you. She wants you to find her son."

"I can't." her voice tightened. "He's being shielded by something. I don't know what. There's no way I can get to him. It's not like I haven't tried."

"She doesn't think you're trying hard enough."

Amelia glowered. "I'm not an idiot. I know when something is pointless. Why did you even send her to me? That makes me so uncomfortable."

"She has something that may interest you."

"And tell me, what on earth could that be?"

"A boy."

"Oh for fuck's sake-"

"Not like that! I mean, he's special. He thinks he can find the Monatheon baby with your help."

"Really?" she raised her eyebrows. "Well I would love to hear what his thoughts are on that."

"They say he has the Sight."

"What does that even mean?" Amelia flopped back down on the chair.

Al grinned at her, "You are in an interesting mood today."

She glared at him. "Nobody's perfect all the time, deal with it. Tell me about this boy."

"His name's Eli and I think he's got something going on. They say he's magic, he sees things before they happen, he sees outcomes, possibilities. He's seen the past and he can read minds."

"Doesn't really sound like magic. At least not like my magic. Sounds more like divination. Actually, I think it mostly sounds like the Eye." Amelia pondered aloud.

"Yeah, I think you're probably right about that." he agreed.

"Is there only one Eye? Or are there a lot more like the one I know?"

"Well, there's only been one for as long as Kalishterya has been a nation. But legend has it, before the kingdom was created, there were two Eyes. Because, you know, the human race needs two eyes in order to really see properly. Anyways, when Kalishterya was created one Eye was given to each world, in order to maintain the balance they were split a part. So in the world you grew up in, an Eye exists and in Kalishterya there is also one Eye. " Amelia could tell Al loved telling stories. His animated hand gestures and expressions made everything all the more interesting. It was when he was telling these stories Amelia felt she saw him as he really was, more than when he was composed and unyielding as usual.

"Do you know who the Eye is in the other world?" she asked although she already had an inclination as to who it was.

"Yes, actually. I'm pretty sure it's your old divination professor, Professor Trelawney." he smirked. "She's a little different from the one in Kalishterya but she has the best Sight I've ever seen over there so my money's on her."