Part 99: Three Men

Eli had decided Re'na was probably one of his favourite places in the entire world. Even after Rose left to go back to her husband he still enjoyed the place. He was staying up at the castle, he assumed Rose had something to do with that, and it was glorious. The maids brought him food when he asked, the dining room was always overflowing when meal time came about, and the sincere beauty of the place was sublime. Everywhere he looked there were frescoes and stained glass windows and columns and ornate gold leafing around every structure. Having only ever lived in his small sheep village, Eli was in a constant state of impress.

Rose had sent him a letter, telling him how Silvio had been returned to her, how Blaxton had chosen to remove all his memories of them and they were starting fresh. How she felt a sense of relief, like maybe she was getting back to who she used to be. Eli kept the note in his back pocket while he went about his day.

He walked down the corridors lazily while admiring the colorfully painted ceiling when he ran into someone.

"Oh, shit sorry." he smiled amiably at the young man in front of him. He was good-looking, much more attractive than the average person and he seemed nice enough. Most had the breath knocked out of them by this creature, they couldn't find the words to describe his wondrous youth and beauty. But all Eli saw was a man with nice hair and good teeth.

"It's completely alright." the boy smiled and held out his hand. "I'm Benvolio Roscureaux. But please, just call me Ben."

"It's nice to meet you, Ben. Do you live here?" Eli grinned and shook his hand.

"No. I'm from the Black City." his voice was light and sweet. "But I'm here to meet the queen. Rumor has it she's coming home soon. I'm also visiting my cousin, Thibeault, who has been away for so long and I dearly miss him."

"The queen, eh?" he nodded. "I've met her a couple times actually."

Ben's eyes widened. "Really? What's she like? Oh I've heard wonderful things."

"Yeah, she's pretty great. It's hard to describe someone like her though. I don't think I'd do it justice."

"Oh do try." he implored. "I'd love to hear."

"There's something about her," Eli began, he liked that Ben, a high lord, was listening to him with the same rapture as the people back in his village. "She's clever, she doesn't say things without thinking first. She's kind too, a great smile, and she remembers things about people, makes them feel special. There's something regal too, but simultaneously humble. She's powerful, I've never even heard of the magic she can do. And her ferocity, gods help anyone in her way. She's definitely the queen, it's indisputable. When you meet her, you'll understand." Eli hadn't noticed that someone was listening in so when they stepped out he tried very hard not to display his surprise.

"You seem to know her pretty well." a man with dark hair and emerald eyes looked at them. He was very well put together, with perfect hair and clothes. Eli felt himself looking for a physical flaw but didn't really find any.

"Yeah well, we have met a few times. And I'm a good judge of character." he said.

"You think so?"

"I know so." Eli smiled, feeling a challenge rising.

"Hello Ben." he turned to the lord. "It's good to see you again," he spoke much kinder towards the wonderful creature.

Ben blushed, "It's so lovely to see you as well."

"How long has it been?" his green eyes were unwavering in their gaze, which seemed to delight and terrify the young man across from him.

"Oh gods, probably a year? Who knows really though." he said in a breathy voice and smiled. "Remember that time you stayed with us, for almost two years I think."

"That was fun, wasn't it?"

"The best of times." Ben agreed and Eli rolled his eyes which the man seemed to notice.

"And you are?"

"Eli." he answered.

"What's your business in Re'na?"

"I was visiting with a friend. And now I'm exploring."

"How evolved." he replied dryly and smoothed his perfect hair, to which Eli raised his eyebrows and tried not to laugh at him. He was probably very intimidating to most people but for some reason, Eli was not as impressed.

"You grew up in a village."

"How can you tell?" he grinned.

The man laughed, but it wasn't a kind laugh. "It's written all over you. The way you look at a Roscureaux, so impressed with his status and wealth. You've never seen money or power like him before. It's obvious. You don't belong here."

It was apparent the man was trying to insult him, but rather than getting offended, Eli chose his own way of dealing with him. "I know things about you too."

"Prove it." said the man.

"Alright." his grin grew wider. "You like things done a certain way, your way." he began. He could read this guy like a book, it was one of the perks of his abilities. "You're highly efficient and organized. You don't like people interfering. You're struggling though, because some things are out of your control." As he nonchalantly talked he could see more and more into this man's mind. "It's about Jeremy, right? Oh he is not doing so well and you're getting desperate. And you don't seem to happy about the queen coming back because she won't let you go." he could see what the man was going to do and Eli's voice fell from matter-of-fact to agitated. The man stared at him and Eli watched the blood draining from his face.

"Get out of my head." he whispered.

"Don't go." Eli said fervently. "You won't get what you want if you go. I can see it. It won't work out."

"What's going on?" Ben asked but they both ignored him and stared each other down.

"You don't understand." his voice remained low and desperate, just above a murmur.

"I do. I can see what you're thinking. And I know what's going to happen. Trust me."

"Get out of my head!" he yelled and Eli backed up on instinct.

"She'll never forgive you." he shouted back. "Don't betray her. She'll never forget and it will change everything. If you do this, you'll kill her."

The dark haired man looked deranged, he pulled a sword from his side and Ben backed up against the wall but Eli stayed where he was.

"If you don't move I'll kill you." his voice and arms shook with fear.

Eli stepped aside. "Don't forget what I've told you, Alakai. When it comes to the end, it'll be your fault and you will cause the death of her."

The man breathed hard then strode past him, he disappeared around the corner and Eli remained still, knowing there was nothing he could do.

A/N hey everyone! I'm so excited for these next few chapters because as Book Two is coming to a close things are going to be getting much more exciting! Comment with your thoughts!

Also, if anyone enjoys designing covers I'm going to need one for Book Three so please message me and I'll let you know what the title is going to be if you would like to help me out! Please and thanks to anyone considering it!