Part 10: She who lives in the forest

She slung the dead rabbits into her bag and knelt to the earthen floor where she could better reach the short fat mushrooms. After collecting those, she went back to her camp, snapped her fingers twice which made a small fire, drank from her water sack, skinned the rabbits, placed them to the side while she built her fire. Her mousy brown hair was braided tightly and her green cloak was drawn across her small figure. Her boots were muddy and the laces were fraying. She would have to risk a trip into Stone Garden to get some new ones. It was one of the safer cities but you couldn't be too careful these days.

She snapped her fingers and watched as the flame appeared in the small fire she had finished building. It came to life and she smiled to herself, her magic was like a small gift she could keep wrapped up in her pocket and no one would ever need know.

She heard voices approaching. Two men climbed over the hill and neared the cave where she made her camp each night. They looked starved, hollow eyes and staggered paces.

"Hey girl!" They'd spotted her. "Girl!"

She stood up. "What do you want?"

"We saw what you did." One of them wheezed. "The magic."

"What's your name?" The shorter one said. His teeth were yellow and his hair greasy.

"Never mind what my name is. Who are you?" She stuck her chin out and her fingers twitched around the knife in her hand. It was still bloody from the rabbits.

"I'm Doug." The tall fat one said then made a jabbing motion towards his companion. "This here's Jake."

"What do you want?" She repeated.

His eyes stared lustfully at the rabbit cooking over the fire. "Wouldn't mind some food."

"Well it's mine and you can't have it. So move along." She'd dealt with people like this before. It never ended well for the people.

"I'll take what I want missy. And there ain't a fucking thing you can fucking do about it." Jake growled.

"You can try." She narrowed her eyes and tightened her grip on the knife.

"Oh I will. And after I'm done eating your food, I'm going to fuck you. Then I'll let Doug here have a go. Then I'll kill you and fuck you again."

It all happened in slow motion. Doug lurched forward, she ducked down, one quick swipe, his leg burst with blood and he fell to the ground with a thud. Rising quickly she put on hand in his shoulder and slit his throat with the other. Jake was slower than his fat friend, he yelled and raised his fist but she was quicker than him. A sharp quick upward motion towards his heart and then pulled the knife out. Dead within seconds.

She calmly wiped the blade off on his jacket and went back to her food. While she waited for them to properly cook, she held out her palm towards the dirt and pushed, a great hole appeared and without difficulty she levitated the two men into their grave. After she said a quick prayer the rabbit was ready to eat. She enjoyed it more than usual.

She walked into Stone Garden and headed for the shoe shop. She had two bronze coins, hopefully it would be enough.

"Please, sir, I need them. I know I can't afford it but please!" She begged as the store manager turned her out.

"No money no laces!" He shook a fist at her and she stuck her tongue out at him. At least he didn't know she farted in his shop, she could hold into that satisfaction.

Children danced in the street to the music played by the minstrels. She laughed as they grabbed her hands and spun about in circles. She took a bow at the end of the song and carried on her way to find another shoe maker. She stopped in the shop where all the wealthy got there shoes, it was worth a try even if they spat in her face.

"How much are shoelaces?" She asked politely.

"Four bronze."

"I have two."

"Then come back when you have more."

She sighed and turned around ready to leave when a boy said, "I can buy them for you."

She turned slowly to see Don Monatheon, with his blonde hair and sickly look.

"Thank you?" She said awkwardly.

He nodded and handed the money to the shop keeper then handed her the laces. "It's not problem."

"I'm sure it isn't." Then she turned and really left. But Don followed her.

"Most girls would be more grateful if a rich man bought them something." He called out.

She whipped around, her green cloak hitting his shins. "I'm not most girls. And I'm not grateful because it didn't cost you anything. Four bronze is nothing to you. I said thank you didn't I?"

He went red. "I could have your head for speaking to me like that."

She laughed. "Do it then. I'd love to see your face when I come back and haunt you."

"You can't do that." He glared. "Ghosts aren't real."

"Says who?"

"Says everyone."

"I bet everyone also tells you you're smart and handsome and perfect just because you're a lord. Trust me, they're lying to you." She winked and went to leave again.

"I know they all lie. They say I'm northern but it's all lies. I'm not northern. I can't be. I'm nothing like Blaxton-"

With a rush of pity she strode towards him. "Be happy you're different. Different is better."

"But he's so much bigger than me." Don's voice was small and it was all she could do not to say that's what she said.

"It's not about size, it's what you do with it." That's what she said screamed in her mind but she kept herself composed. She gave him a small smile and left.

The Monatheon boy called out one last time, "What's your name?"

"Never mind that." She smiled and headed back to the woods. Back to the cave where she could practice her magic and no one would harm her. It had been a long time since she had been forced to leave her home and she had made do. Made a new home in the forest and she was going to protect it with everything she had.

Don't forget to Vote and Comment if you enjoyed this chapter!!