Part 84: Horcruxes

She hated waiting. Her feet danced back and forth while her fingers twisted themselves into knots. Amelia's hair was tied back in a not very attractive ponytail, her robes were wrinkled and she hadn't been getting much sleep at all lately. Ever since the spell with Eli, the dreams had been creeping in along the crevices of her mind. Her thoughts were interrupted when the door to Dumbledore's office opened and Harry walked out.

"Amelia?" he frowned slightly. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to borrow some ink from the professor. I'm running low."

"What?"

"It was a joke, Harry. I need to talk to him about something."

"Oh."

"How's the team going?"

"What?"

Amelia laughed, "The Quidditch team, your team. Congratulations on making captain, by the way. You deserve it."

"Oh, right thanks." he smiled awkwardly. She couldn't help but make an effort to be the best version of herself around this sweet boy.

"How are you doing?" she asked, looking to gauge his reaction.

"I'm alright."

"I know this year must be sort of shit for you. Last year was really difficult, with everything you went through. And it can't be much easier now-"

"I really am doing alright." Harry looked at her with those brilliant green eyes and Amelia could remember those eyes from their first time on the train, when they were both so young.

"Yeah I know." she said.

"How are you doing?" he still had that slightly awkward way about him that made everything so much more endearing.

"I'm alright." Amelia laughed. "It's been a bit of a crazy time for me as well." Harry nodded and they stood in silence for a moment.

"I should get going." he waved to her and walked down the corridor. She watched him go before turning to knock on the headmaster's door. Taking a deep breath, Amelia rapped on the door sharply. It swung open and she entered the room. The office still looked the same with it's tinkling intruments and bright lights everywhere. She felt an urge to explore the bookshelves but was stopped by the multiple portraits casting their judgmental eyes down upon her.

"Miss Merlin!" Dumbledore beamed and walked over to her. "How are you doing?"

"I'm very well, professor," she smiled in return. "But I have a few questions for you."

"Please," he gestured to two arm chairs and they sat down in them. It was strange not being across the desk but she felt more at ease. "What can I do for you?"

"It's a bit strange. But I have these symbols that I need to understand, and I can't find any meaning of them anywhere in books. I've researched and there's nothing so I thought I might ask you and see if you could help me. It's for a friend."

"Why do you need to understand them?" he put his fingertips together and looked down his long nose at her. She knew he was busy and didn't have time to answer every question a student had, but she also couldn't exactly tell him the truth.

"I can't tell you. But it's a matter of life and death." Amelia said fervently.

"Sounds serious." a small twinkle appeared in his eye and it took all she had not to get upset with him, she didn't like being made fun of.

"So the symbols are: a snake, a cup, a crown, a necklace and a boy." her words tumbled out like she was dropping them on the floor. "They're all connected and I just need to understand how." Dumbledore was very quiet. He didn't even move other than to stare at her more intently, suddenly she felt something pressing in on her mind and she could tell he was trying to use legilimens to gain some insight into her thoughts, which only made her more frustrated. "Professor, please don't read my mind. You won't be able to."