PTSD

It was Monday. Rin and Lizzy were both ready to get back to work.

Rin hummed as he flipped the pancakes and hurried to go add the next ingredient to the bubbling pot of stew he'd let sit for a few minutes.

The cooks were used to watching Rin take on more than one order at a time. It was a special talent of his.

Lizzy watched Rin in a new light. She used to see a bright kid with a talent of cooking.

Now, she saw a wise adult, doing something that he enjoyed, something that took him away to a different world, a world filled with joy and no worries, no war.

Cooking was something that allowed Rin to feel normal, to feel safe and happy. Lizzy saw that now, and her heart reached out to him.

She swallowed as she saw him smile at one of the newer cooks, laughing when the cook raised a brow as he saw Rin dance around goofily.

That smile was one of joy, but it was guarded, giving nothing away that would lead to betrayal.

Lizzy watched the boy serve their customers, a content look on his face. It seemed to be the only thing that was exposed. He felt content, okay then. He didn't feel so worried. He was okay, for now.

Lizzy made sure to tell herself that the words 'for now' meant exactly what they were said for.

For now wasn't forever.

__________________________

As Rin served tables, he could still remember his dream, his memory. That memory brought even more flashbacks.

As he set the drinks on the table, the woman sitting there spoke up, her voice curious, but kind. "Aren't you a bit young to be working here?"

Rin froze, eyes flashing.

Rin raced through the trees, zig zagging his way through the obstacles. He skidded to a stop at the edge of the woods, a road in sight with a broke-down car on it.

A mother and her child were there, as the mother looked through the hood for the problem, and the little girl patiently rocked back and forth on her heels. She couldn't have been older than seven.

The mother lifted her head at the rustling of leaves and turned her head to face Rin. "Who are you? Are you lost?"

The little girl looked at him, too. "Who's he, mommy?"

Rin stared at them, wide eyed. "No..."

"Are you okay?" The mother walked toward him and put a hand on his shoulder. "Are you hurt? Lost?"

Rin was about to warn them, but Satan's voice drifted toward them. "Putting innocent people in danger, now?"

The mother and Rin looked back to see Satan, grinning insanely, with the little girl's throat in his hand.

"Kaui!" The mother cried, fear circling in her orbs as she stared at the demon threatening her daughter.

Satan laughed. The girl struggled. "Let me go, you stupid meanie!"

Satan grinned. "Aren't you a bit young to be ordering me?" His fingers twitched and blood exploded everywhere, Kaui's head rolling off her shoulders.

"No!" The mother screamed in horror and despair.

Satan wasted no time in doing the same to the mother.

Blood and guts covered the road and the broken-down car, detached heads with bloody, severed bodies lie lifeless on the black pavement.

Rin stared in horror. "Bastard..." Rin started to scream. "Leave everyone out of this!"