Ch.1

"Juniper, your father and I are going out with some friends! You and Devon behave, I don't want anyone in my room doing anything." My mother warned.

I laughed, gripping Devon's hand tighter in mine before resting my head on his shoulder.

"No promises." My long time boyfriend playfully replied.

Mom glared at him then smiled jokingly. Dad walked out of one of the bedrooms we bought for our winter break.

Snow coated the mountains of Colorado creating a soft hum of good vibes to flood the vacation.

"You ready?" Dad asked mom.

"Yeah." She smiled, love shinning in her eyes.

Mom waved to us as she got into the car, dad getting into the driver's seat.

Devon closed the door which automatically locked.

"Do you want to watch a movie?" I asked and looked up at him.

"Sure. I'll pick the movie while you get the popcorn." Devon smiled and pecked my lips.

I smiled back and walked into the additional kitchen, grabbing a bag of popcorn.

I put it into the microwave and turned the thing on.

After a while the smell of burnt popcorn wafted into the room and my eyes widened. I opened the microwave and took out the bag of burnt popcorn, looking around the room frantically for a place to hide the bag of burnt popcorn.

"Juniper? Are you almost done? You've been in there for awhile."

   "Uh yeah! Everything is fine. I'll be out in a minute." I hurriedly grabbed another bag from the box and struggled to get the plastic off.

"June, I heard the microwave go off, you're lying to me." Devon walked into the kitchen and my face turned red.

Devon took the new bag away from me and threw it on the counter.

"I-I didn't mean to burn it. I'm sorry." I apologized and stepped back a little.

"You shouldn't have lied to me." He walked closer to me.

"Devon, I didn't mea-n to! I swear!" My voice cracked as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"Why did you lie?" He kept walking closer as I walked back until I hit a wall.

"I-I didn't want you t-to be mad at me..."

"And you thought lying was going to make me happy?" He growled.

"N-no."

"You should know not to lie. We've been through this before."

"I-I'm sorry! Devon please don't do this!" I pleaded.

A slap fell across my right cheek and I let out a whimper of pain.

"This is your fault. Do you think I like hurting you? I don't but you have to learn."

"Devon, I'm sorry! I won't do it again."

"Sorry isn't going to help you." He snarled and shoved me into the wall.

He raised his knee up and slammed it into my stomach.

I cried out and fell to the floor.

"Baby, I really don't like hurting you. You brought this upon yourself." Devon's sympathetic voice rung out.

I choked on a sob and curled into a ball, hoping to lessen the pain of his next blow.

He kicked at my back and legs, harder with each time. After a few more blows, he stops and carefully picks me up.

My body was shaking and I flinched when his rough hands moved across my skin. I convulsed with my sobs, crying into his chest, continuously apologizing.

"Shh, it's okay." He whispered, sitting down on the couch with me in his lap.

I wrapped my arms around him and clung onto him tightly. He held my face gently and wiped away my tears.

"Let's finish the movie, okay babe?" His soft voice asked.

I nod and rest my head on his shoulder.

He ran his hands through my tangled hair and kissed my forehead. Devon switched on the movie and continued caressing me while we watched it.

"Are you tired?" Devon asked when the movie ended.

I nodded.

"I'm a little hungry." I mumbled.

"What do you want?" He asked while standing and I wrapped my legs around his waist.

"Whatever we have." I spoke into his shoulder.

His body vibrated with a laugh as he set me on the counter.

"Is Mac and cheese okay?" He asked.

"Yeah." I nodded.

He instantly filled a pot with water and set it on the stove. While the water was heating up, Devon got a box out of a cabinet.

He finished up and dished some into a bowl for me and the rest into another bowl for him.

He handed me my bowl after he got a fork for both of us and I started eating slowly

After every other bite he took, Devon would glance up at me and smile before taking another bite of his food.

Once we finished, Devon collected the bowls and then picked me up. He walked to our bedroom and placed me on my feet.

"Do you want to change?" He pulled sweatpants and one of his shirts out of the dresser.

I nodded and grabbed the clothes from his outstretched hand. I stood and changed while he stripped down to his briefs.

Devon laid me in the bed and tucked me in before getting in himself.

I cuddled closer to his chest and he wrapped his arms around me.

"Go to sleep, baby." He whispered into my neck.

My eyes closed as I fell asleep to the constant sound of his heart beat and soothing wisp of his breath across my neck.

Juniper at the top