Chapter 38

Juniper's POV

And to think today was going to be fine. The universe seemed to have other plans for me.

My mom patted my leg after she had parked the car and got out. I ran a shaking hand through my hair then opened the door.

Devon peeked around the gray soccer mom car shot me a sheepish smile. My cheeks burned red.

"Juniper -" Devon started but he stopped when he realized that my posture had tensed. It's been a while since I've heard him say my name. He took a step toward me and held out his hand as if he were trying to calm a wild animal.

"Why are you here?" I asked him, backing away by two steps.

"Juniper, I need to talk to you. I need to explain myself. Explain everything." He watched me, his voice seeming desperate.

I shook my head.

"I don't want to hear what you have to say, Devon."

He hung his head but nodded.

"I understand but it's very important that I tell you..." He looked at me through his lashes, his head still hung.

"Devon, I really..."

"Please." He begged.

My mind trickled over the many things he possibly had to say to me, finally deciding that I couldn't be hurt by him anymore.

"Fine. But you don't get long and you don't get to go inside." I crossed my arms and situated into a comfortable stance.

"Whatever Chandler told you was wrong, okay? He's lying to you. Chandler and I had made a deal before I even met you. He told me that he really wanted you to himself so he offered to pay me to tear you down so he could swoop in and save you."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"Chandler said he was going to pay me once you and him got together but I never got paid. I know this doesn't excuse everything I've done to you but I wanted you to know I feel guilty. That's why I came here. I wanted to be completely honest to you. You deserve it."

His eyes were set on mine. My heart was racing. I can't even comprehend this. I wanted to believe Chandler but there was nothing forcing Devon to say these things.

"I need to take some time and think about this, it's too much for me to take in right now..." I mustered up the words.

He pushed his hands into his pockets and nodded.

"I never meant to hurt you as much as I did."

His final words before he got into his car and drove off echoed in my ears.

I don't know who to believe...

A/N: we're getting closer to the end because I feel obligated to finish this story. There may not be much NSFW stuff mostly because I've grown out of the fascination with gay smut. It's so hard to write these days.