Ch.20

Ok so I forgot to go back and make this cuter and more romantic but umm until then here's this... 😅

Within minutes, Sage pulled up to a large plantation style house.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Why did they bring me here?

Niko and Sage both got out of the car and I followed cautiously.

Nikolai knocked softly on the door, a small woman walking out. Her white hair was pulled back into a tight bun.

"Ahh mein Enkel, wie schön dich wiederzusehen Wer ist dieser schöne junge Mann hinter dir? (my grandson, how nice to see you again. Who is this lovely young man behind you?)" The woman pointed at me, pulling my my sleeve so I became closer to her.

"Oma das ist Juniper, er ist ein Freund von Nikolai und ich. (Grandma this is Juniper, he is a friend of Nikolai and I.)" Sage's voice was rough as he spoke the foreign language.

"Ooh he is so cute!" The woman gushed with a thick German accent.

"Ja Oma, ich weiß, deshalb bin ich hierher gekommen Können wir drei pferde ausleihen? (yes grandma I know, that's why I came here. can we borrow three horses? )" Sage spoke, he lead the woman gently inside, speaking to her privately.

"That's his grandmother. She's the sweetest lady you'll ever meet." Niko smirked, nudging my shoulder with his elbow.

I felt out of place, coming onto Sage's family land. Niko pushed the door open a little and walked inside. I followed him.

The house was extravagant in an antique but well maintained way. Thick wooden frames lined every doorway and dark oak railings led up the marble staircase.

My eyes scanned over the walls, decorations and antique mirrors lined the painted corridor.

As I absentmindedly walked amongst the house, my hip ran into a rather sharp corner.

"Ouch." I hissed, looking down at the table which hosted a lamp.

Niko peeked his head from around the staircase and asked if everything was alright.

"Yeah, everything is fine." I muttered. This is a fucking weird ass date.

Within ten minutes Sage was back and he seemed at ease with the world.

"I'd like to show you around the land. It's quite beautiful here and very relaxing. Oma is sending employees to tack three horses for us but in the meantime we will walk around."

Sage led me to the back door where Nikolai waited patiently for us.

We walked together, making simple conversation as I was given a tour of the grounds.

A pathway was cut out and covered by trees, taking us to many parts of the property.

Sage's grandmother had moved from Germany to the United States to race her full red thoroughbred horses. She grew up, I learned, around the horses. She trained them, bred them, fed them, and loved them.

"I'll never stop loving them until the day I die." Sage told me these were the words she lived by.

I was shown the stables and the racing tracks, they had three.

We strolled down the paths, my eyes continuously scanning over the full grown trees and bright green grass.

After we finished the tour of the grounds, I was in awe. We went back to the stables, three horses prepared already.

Sage immediately went to the tall white horse, rubbing its head softly.

I was drawn towards a lean, young looking horse with a shiny brown coat. He looked like he had attitude and I liked that.

Nikolai walked closer to a thick horse who's vibe was definitely mellow and chill. It looked older and kinder than the other two.

"Do you need help up?" Sage asked, eying me and then the horse.

"Actually yeah." I chuckled nervously.

He smiled and walked up behind me. His long fingers ran down my back, resting on my hips.

"Grab onto the saddle," he whispered into my ear," and when I push you up, pull yourself over."

Sage knelt on the ground and created a cradle for my foot so he could give me a boost up.

With little effort on my part, I was up in the saddle. Nikolai had already gotten on, holding the reins tightly so the horse wouldn't move anywhere.

Once Sage was satisfied with my position, he effortlessly and gracefully mounted his horse then spurred it into a walk.

I pressed my heels lightly into the sides of the brown horse who jumped and started a brisk walk.

Niko was quick behind me, guiding his horse.

"Sage slow down not all of us have ridden horses before!" Nikolai yelled, chuckling lightly as Sage turned and flicked him off.

"Time and a place, Sage. Time and place." Niko winked in response. My face was flushed at their playful banter, loving the way they joked with each other.

"You guys ready to pick up the pace? Maybe run a bit? I know where to go." Sage called to us.

"Sure!" I grinned, my heart beating faster with excitement. Riding a horse was on my bucket list, racing these horses exceeds that bucket list tenfold.

"I'll beat you there." Nikolai challenged, trotting up next to me.

Sage kicked his horse into a full stride gallop, quickly moving farther and farther away from us.

I glanced at Niko before pressuring my horse faster until he was galloping also.

Niko was quick behind me, moving next to me so we raced side by side.

My horse glanced at his, obviously knowing to race. It's legs moved faster and soon we pulled ahead of Niko and his large horse.

I followed behind Sage, seeing him in the distance so I knew where to go.

As I looked across the flat land, Nikolai caught up and pressured the race once more.

I spurred my horse faster and faster. Nikolai and I were neck to neck until we caught up with Sage who had stopped and dismounted his horse.

Nikolai reined his horse, halting almost immediately, and I followed.

We both dismounted. The minute my feet hit the hard ground, I looked around the green scenery. Over to my right was a small two foot waterfall that kept the sound of running water constant.

All of us tied our horses to separate low hanging branches then met in the middle where a checkered picnic blanket sat lightly on the grass.

In the center of said picnic blanket was a weaved basket, items poking out, which hinted at snack foods.

Nikolai sat first, next was me and then Sage.

Our seating arrangement was triangular so we could all see each other's faces.

"I don't want to ruin any moment but we gave you time to make your decision." Sage started, earning a hard glare from Nikolai.

My head nodded along as he spoke.

"I believe it's time for you to give us your answer."

To be honest I haven't even thought about it. It had drifted from my mind the minute I fell asleep that night.

"I want to try it."

Sorry for the poor quality photo but I can't really do anything about that. Here's another update!