Ch.18

My mother was home already when I got there. She opened the door for me and smiled when I walked in.

"How was your day, honey?" She asked, placing a comforting hand on my forearm.

"It was okay." I shrugged.

She smiled and nodded as if she understood.

"Do you have any homework?"

"Nope."

"You never have homework."

"Correct."

I shook off her hand and jogged to my room.

I was so exhausted. My eyes drooped and my body began to slow its work.

"Fuck I've still got to shower." A long, tired groan exited my lips.

Within an hour, I was face down on my bed and knocked out.

An alarm woke me early the next morning.

I got ready for school rapidly.

"Honey you forgot to eat breakfast!" Mom called after me as I scuttled out of the door.

Waving my hands crazily I motion that I don't have time for it. She chuckles then turns to my father and kisses him.

"Ew." I muttered.

The minute I make it to the school I hustle to the lunchroom looking for Chloe.

My vibe instantly darkened when I couldn't find her so I sat and dropped my head onto my hand.

After a few dragged minutes, a human sits beside me.

"Take me back." A familiar voice begs, a hand on my arm. The contact made my skin burn.

"Go away, Devon." Saying his name tasted like poison on my tongue.

"I know you want me back." He pressured.

Heels clicked against the floor leading to my table. I glanced up and smiled in relief when I saw Chloe approaching.

"Oh hey, June, I need your help with science homework! Sorry I have to take him." Chloe winked at Devon before gripping my arm and dragging me out. She scowled once she glanced back at him.

Without stopping she lead me up a few flights of stairs and to a door I'd never noticed.

"Where does this lea-?"  She shoved the door open to reveal a stunning rooftop garden. A path led through the greenery and a few benches stood here and there. A covered gazebo was placed in the center and the 360° view was incredible.

"Incredible." I muttered, my eyes wide as I looked around.

"I know right? I stumbled upon this beauty when I was looking for new, undisclosed places to make out with people." She shrugged.

"I uh, thought you needed help with science homework."

"Ha! Bitch no I was saving your ass." She scoffed.

"So what's going on?" Chloe asked.

"Uh, it's just Devon, my ex. It still hurts y'know since it was recent." I shrugged and smiled painfully.

"I understand boo boo." The girl rubbed my shoulder.

"Hey! We should get ice cream. Let's bail." She grinned as she said that.

I thought it over before deciding that it was a fantastic idea.

"Let's do it!" I chuckled and felt for my wallet and phone in my pockets.