Chapter 35

Juniper's POV

I had spent the rest of my time with Sage and Niko who seemingly still had some tension. Ever since Niko tested Sage, Sage would send some looks over into the other's direction.

Monday came around and it was time for school. I was dreading it. My clothes didn't match and my hair looked a mess but I didn't mind. I brushed my teeth quickly and swiped on some deodorant before walking out my door. Chandler had pulled up to take me to school.

"Hey man," I greeted him as I ran my hands down my face, attempting to wake myself up.

"Hey June, it's been a while." He quipped.

I gave him a brief smile and nodded. He was quick to turn on the music then we were on our way to school. Not much was said between us because the air felt thick. My anxiety rose just slightly when we reached the halfway point and I thought he was going to reach for my thigh. He simply changed the song and I relaxed back into the seat, scrolling through instagram on my phone.

When we reached the school, Chandler parked and got out. He turned to me and told me he'd see me at the end of the day. He then locked the car and walked off.

It was weird. This wasn't his normal self.

With a shrug, I swung my bag onto my shoulder and walked into the building. Chloe waved to me when she saw me but went back to chatting with Bob. Devon passed by, a skinny blonde girl on his side. She was smiling up at him but he seemed to not hear her. He didn't even glance my way.

I chewed the skin on my bottom lip and walked straight to my first class.

Nothing new was happening and I broke out my phone to scroll through Instagram.

Sage busted into the class late and tipped his head toward the teacher before sitting down.

"Hey Juniper, how are you?" He asked quietly.

I shrugged and went back to scrolling through my phone. His eyes bore into the side of my face and I knew that reply wasn't enough for him.

"Don't be testing me like Niko, Juniper. If I have to remind you both where we stand then I will." He whispered to me.

My cheeks burned red and I nodded silently.

The class flew by while Sage attempted to make small talk. I wasn't feeling it though.

For some reason my social battery had been drained and I didn't feel like being around anyone.

The bell rang, signaling the end of class. I quickly gathered all my things and stepped out of the classroom. Sage gripped my arm and led me to an empty room, the door closing gently behind us.

"Is everything alright?" He asked. His face contorted into concern.

"I just dont feel like being here," I sighed and leaned my forehead onto his chest. His lithe muscles wrapped around me in a hug and he sighed too. His hands ran over my hair a couple times then a kiss was planted on the very top of my head.

"I'm sorry if there is a weird energy between Nikolai and I currently, we are working on it and we do not want to make you feel uncomfortable. Please let us know how you are feeling, okay?" He pushed my head back with both of his hands on either side of my face so I would look at him.

With big, round eyes, I looked at him and nodded. The bell rang for the next class session to start.

"Do you want to go to class? If not, we can leave. I'll tell Nikolai to come pick us up since he did not come in today..." Sage asked. He looked into my eyes, still cradling my face with his fingers.