07 | unveiled

GREY
2 months

I threw rapid fire punches and my fists collided into the black punching pads with loud thumps. Xander made sharp whistling noises as he speedily moved his punching pad clad hands in different areas, making it more of a challenge. But I lunged my fists victoriously, not missing once.

It's been two and a half months since I've came to Society. Two and a half months ago I was trudging through my hardships while struggling to take care of my little sister. But now, everything has changed. Three days, seventy-two hours in that jail cell and I've had a chance to really ponder on things.

My attitude here did a complete three-sixty. I'm fully immersed. Volunteering to do Trial Runs and coming out as victorious. Answering every question in Linguistics - which happens to be French. Practically knowing how to assemble a tranquil gun in my sleep.

"Faster," Xander urged. His cut chiseled abs in a thin sheen of sweat served as no distraction as I impacted the pad harder and quicker after every fierce strike. With eyes intensely focused on both moving targets, I whipped my body around swiftly and kicked at his hip.

His reflexes were with no match for me when he kicked my hamstring and body met the padded floor. I sighed and blew the annoying stray strand of hair from my face. That was his signature move.

He yanked the punching pads off and set them on the floor. He picked up his bottle of water and chugged it down.

Undeterred, when he walked close enough to me I thrusted my lower body up, allowing my legs to spring up and lock around his thigh.

He stumbled forward with his fingertips pressed against the floor and landed next to me. He tried to conceal his astonishment as he stared at me with furrowed brows.

"Not bad Liara," He mumbled, standing to his feet.

I stood up. "I'm guessing that's the closest I'll ever get to an actual compliment."

He entered his office, giving me the view of his bare muscly back. "I don't do compliments."

I rolled my eyes.

"Now leave," He said, putting his shirt back on. I noticed there was a file on his desk with a huge black X inside of a square. I was curious. I had never seen a file with that label.

I spun on my heels, temporarily shaking away the curiosity. I was already late to Linguistics anyway.

*

Classes were over by two o'clock. First Aid had exhausted my brain to the max today.

Jett walked beside me as we walked down the hall, back to our rooms. I was looking forward to just relax. That's the best thing about being a recruit. My schedule is so lenient.

"Did you get that lesson in Linguistics today?" Jett asked.

"Yeah," I shrugged.

"Oh right. I forgot you're the expert," He joked.

"Mm no. I actually just pay attention to her face," I answered.

"What?! It's not even that. You know Linguistics isn't my strong suit."

I patted his shoulder, not convinced. "Alright big bro."

We bided a casual goodbye to each other when we arrived at his room. Walking the remainder of the way to my room, I saw Tegan walking in my direction.

"Hey Tee," I smiled, approaching my room door.

"Hey girl," She greeted as she breezed by.

I held my smile for a few moments and dropped it like a dead weight soon as I slammed the door. I undid my topknot and shook my head, feeling a relief when my hair  fell free.