23 | investigation

GREY

"This is ridiculous," I said flatly.

"Oh quit complaining," Grant quipped through my ear piece.

It's noon time and I sat in the cafeteria at one of the back tables, observing everyone's actions discreetly. Grant is currently on his lunch break, which gives us an hour to make progress on finding the mole.

It's his theory that if I sit here and watch people, I can maybe pick out a suspect. Factors such as their facial expressions, their body language. The way they eat.

There's an orchid flower pendant pinned to my shirt with a tiny camera installed in it, allowing for Grant to have eyes on wherever I go. My laptop being in front of me, gave the idea that I was preoccupied. You know, to disguise the fact that I'm practically stalking people.

I squinted my eyes when I caught sight on Lillian with a conflicted expression on her face as she ate her lunch. We've small talked only a few times, so I barely know her. She tried to conceal whatever she was feeling when her friend sparked up a conversation.

I turned my head to the side and muttered, "Lilian looks suspicious."

"Keep watching her then."

I sighed.

"Hey Grey," Deeliah came to me with a tray in her hand, a full lunch sitting atop of it. "Could you take this to Xander please? I have to take care of something."

Why me.

"Yeah. Sure," I said non-enthusiastically, standing up to take the tray from her hands.

"Thank you so much," She air smooched and spun on her heels.

I walked out of the cafeteria,  to Xander's room. It wasn't a long distance, since the Residence Hall is on the same floor. When I neared his room, the door opened to a slightly irritable looking Kimber. She made no eye contact with me as she walked by.

Hm. Maybe she was trying to convince him into taking her back.

I let myself in and there he was, the same as he's always been for the past week. Sitting in bed.

"Another reason to come see me huh," He teased.

"Very funny," I was unamused. I set the tray down on his nightstand.

"You wanna know what else is funny? You trying to be beat me."

I already knew he was talking about the game of Speed and it really irked me.

"Yeah?" I grabbed the water bottle sitting on his tray. Opened it, took a gulp and then thrusted the bottle forward causing the water to splash all over his face.

He nodded, swiping the water from his eyes with a growing smile. "You're really lucky I'm injured Liara."

"Well when you're off bedrest I'll be waiting for a fight. We'll see if you can still talk," I closed the water bottle and tossed it to him.

"I taught you everything you know sweetheart," He said challengingly.

"Hm. I wouldn't be so sure," I smirked, walking to the door.

"Well played," A frown struck my face when I heard Grant's voice. I had forgotten I had an ear com in.

"Shush."

On my way from Xander's room, I saw Tegan walking in my direction.

"Oh! Hang out with Tegan," Grant suggested. "See if she shows any signs."