29 | the missing x

GREY

It was quiet amongst the team as we walked back into Society Headquarters. The flight back had me exhausted and jet lagged. I knew soon as my head hit my pillow, a deep sleep would instantly fall upon me.

I had to head to Vera's wing to discuss Mission Eleven's outcome and I tried to let that feat soak up my thoughts. Anything really, anything that wouldn't let me be reminded of what happened between Xander and I.

It was too dangerous for me to reminisce.

After he kissed me, our darkened silhouettes stumbled across my room, until my back was against a wall.

However it was short lived, because my conscience kicked in and I realized what was happening. I pushed him off of me and covered my mouth in shock.

We vowed to each other that it never happened, it was a one time thing. We have to forget. I'd be lying if I said it was easy. I couldn't forget the stupid light fluttery feeling in my stomach when his lips touched mine.

But I have to, and I know I will eventually.

"Grey," Vera called my name with a soft evil tone when I entered her office.

"Your Highness," I grumbled.

"You just can't do anything according to my wishes hm?" She sat back in her chair.

"Well you should've thought of that before you put me in charge of a mission," I shrugged.

She nodded slowly, shaking off her annoyance toward my defiance, "You're sister wants to see you . . . make it quick."

I walked toward her desk, planted both hands at either side and leaned in slowly, "You're not gonna put a restriction on how much time I get to see my little sister, who you just keep in her room all day!"

"Keep testing my patience Grey," She shook her head. "Keep testing me and see where that gets you, because I know you don't wanna go back."

Solitary Confinement.

"Now get out," She barked. I slammed my hand on her desk and stalked out of her office.

I lightly knocked on Violet's door and she opened it with a radiant smile.

"Rey! You're here!"

I bent down and pulled her into an embrace, "I'm here."

She pulled from my hug and took my hand, "Come on I wanna show you something."

She took a folded piece of paper from under her pillow and handed it to me. I unfolded it to see a large number written in pencil.

"What's this number mean?"

"It's the number of days I have left until I can train!" She threw her hands up excitedly. I pressed my lips in a thin line and stared at the number with an intense, concerned frown.

"Rey, I can't wait until I start to train and become an Agent . . . just like you and Jett," Violet was innocently inspired.

It broke my heart to how much our twisted Aunt got into her head. How much influence Society has had on her, on all of us really.

I bent down and gave her another hug. I stroked her long silky brown hair. We're going to be out of here well before she turns eighteen.

And that's a promise.

*

3:42 AM

"You're late," Slight annoyance was intwined into Kimber's voice as I sauntered into the layer.