32 | independence day

GREY
3:15 AM

Grant stood at the board with furrowed brows, marker in hand while I rambled about the events that happened between Xander and I

"And then he said not everything Vera does he agrees w-are you even listening to me?"

He spun around clueless, "What?"

I slumped my shoulders and glowered at him.

Grant closed the marker and put it on the table, "Sorry G. I was just trying to think about Project X and put the pieces together. But . . . You and Xander are a thing now, that's . . . Wow."

"Join the club," I laughed breathily.

He scratched the back of his neck, with a skeptic expression. "It's risky though. Vera is a very smart woman and I don't want anything to happen to you. The both of you for that matter."

I shrugged a shoulder, "Well she was obviously stupid enough to not realize he was dating Kimber for years on end."

"Whoaaa whoa whoa," Grant held up his hands. "They were a thing too?!"

"Don't tell them that I know," I pointed a finger warningly. "But we'll be fine. Plus, by time she would even start to detect anything Society will be long gone."

He nodded with a growing smile, "Point taken."

"But listen, it was like he was trying to . . ." I paused, trying to put it into words. "Tell me something without telling me y'know? He said not everything Vera does he agrees with."

"Maybe. I don't know," Grant responded candidly. "If he was a rogue that'd be an all time win honestly. He knows Vera better than anyone here."

"Either way, eventually he will be a rogue," Confidence lifted my tone. "Speaking of which, any word from Pierre?" I picked up my mug and sipped my lukewarm tea.

Grant sighed, "Nothing. I don't know what's going on over there."

"They'll call," I assured him. "Where's Kimber?"

"I think she forgot that we were meeting today," Grant answered. "If we can just find out who the variable is of Silver Protocol we can be on the road to success."

He sat in a chair and huffed, looking a bit defeated. I laid a hand on his shoulder and a calm silence took the room.

*

5:40 PM

I walked into Vera's quarters and saw her and Jett conversing over their lunch in her lounging area. They turned their heads simultaneously.

Vera wiped the corner of her mouth with a napkin, "How nice of you to come by Grey."

"You wanted to see me?"