20 | ambush

KIMBER

I leaped from the blue crystal pool water, taking a large gasp of needed air.

It's been a full week with no word from Pierre. I wanted to be relieved, but of course the nagging fear creeped in. Was he just bluffing?

Water dripped from my body as I used the white tiled mini staircase out of the pool. I picked up my neatly folded black towel and patted myself dry. I've always loved coming to the pool room. The chill vibe that it radiated soothed my untamable thoughts.

Especially with the anxiety of being a mole

After clothing myself in my grey joggers and white tank, I grabbed my flip flops and left the room. Towel thrown over my shoulder.

An hour in the pool room only left an hour of my Active Time to complete. I was in the mood for a one on one, perhaps with Xander.

I jabbed my thumb on the elevator button and the doors slid open smoothly.

"Second floor."

The elevator proceeded. It still vexed me why I haven't heard anything from Pierre. What's he doing over there?

The doors opened and I slipped on my flip flops before I stepped out. When I walked into the Self Defense room, I frowned when I saw Jack standing in the middle of the room. His eyes were focused on the black clip board he held, a pen clenched between his teeth. He must've subbed for Xander's class this morning.

"Where's Xander?"

Jack took the pen from his mouth, "Oh hey Kimmy. He got called on a mission. I forgot where it is, but it's in another state so he left this morning."

I frowned.

"Man, he's right. Teaching these recruits are like high school freshman," Jack shook his head.

I laughed lightly and quickly left the room, speeding walking back to mine. I had to get in touch with Pierre or one of the rogues, now. I had the slightest idea that Pierre might be involved.

In my room, I rushed to my nightstand and opened the drawer. A maroon blank paged notebook was centered in it. I took it out and opened it to see a rectangle crisply cut into all the pages.

Enough for the burner to fit perfectly inside. Another source of communication from Pierre.

I dialed the memorized number and brung the phone to my ear. The teasing rings only ceased when the option for leaving a voicemail occurred.

"Darnit," I hissed as I slammed it onto my bed.

I opened my laptop and frantically typed up a message. Normally a reply would appear almost right away. But soon, I found myself staring at the screen with the green cursor blinking at me for several minutes.