15 | mystery

GREY  

I waltzed into the Self Defense room and saw the students doing their daily stretches. Max was scheduled to take his Sim Test and as one of Vera's puppets, and I was the one who had to  inform Xander.

The class payed me no mind as I walked across the room, of course with the exception of a greeting from Jett and daggers  thrown by Tegan.

"Why don't you take a picture, it'll last longer," I said to her, receiving an eye roll and a few quiet cheers from eavesdroppers. 

"I would but it might break my camera," She shrugged with feigned innocence.

"How bout I break your neck instead," Venom dripped from my sharp tone. 

Tegan stood up, angered, "Let's see you try."

"Try? I-"

"What's going on?" Xander's firm voice interrupted. He frowned at my presence. "What are you doing here?"

"Vera sent me to tell you Max has to take his Sim Test."

"No."

"What do you mean no? Let him take the test, it's mandatory," I replied incredulously.

He jerked his head toward his office. " Everyone get into a circle and figure out who's up for the Trial Run," He told the class. I followed him and closed the door behind me.

"Tell Vera to schedule it later, he's not missing my class."

"Pfft!" I spat a bitter laugh. 

"Just go tell her!"

"There is no way in heck I feel like hearing her run her mouth so just do what she asked!"

He leaned forward. "I have to go through that everyday, you can deal with it. Now go."

"Fine. I'll just tell Max to leave then," I went to turn around, but Xander squeezed my arm and yanked me back. I stared right into his mesmerizing blue eyes.

"Don't you dare," He warned.

I pulled out of his hold, "Watch me."

Xander sighed and turned away from me, running a hand over his face. "We need to stop this."

"Stop what?"

"Fighting," He rolled his eyes. "It's exhausting."

"So what are you saying?" I inquired.

"Vera isn't going to stop putting us on the same task force, she already knows we work decently together in the field," He pointed out. "So I guess I'm saying we just stop fighting and . . . be friends."

I must of looked at him like he had two heads, it seemed as if he himself couldn't believe what left his mouth either.

"Naaah," We drawled simultaneously, shaking our heads.

"I'll just hate you civilly," I nodded.

He laughed and leaned himself against his desk, "Civilly?"