Chapter Twenty Eight: Maia's P.O.V. The Trio

Trinity scurries down the opposite side of the mountain, cradling the gold bars in her arms.
  Luna and I exchange glances, and run up the mountain.
  Unfortunately, we're too late. Trinity has vanished.
  "What could she be doing with those gold bars?" Luna asks. She sighs and takes a seat.
  "Maybe she was taking them so Cipher can't get to them," I suggest.
  "I don't think she knows about that. Cipher is behind this."
  "But she wouldn't betray us..." I pause and look to Luna."...would she?"
  She turns to me, her glossy purple-blue eyes screaming with tiredness and distress."I'm sorry, Maia, but I honestly don't know." She lays down on the ledge, gazing up at the everlasting darkness.
I lay next to her. For a calming moment, it's just us there. There's no Cipher, no fire, no destruction, no fights, no creatures, no Orion or Trinity or Annabelle.
Just us.
I take a deep breath in. The air smells a bit like smoke, but there is still a fresh earthiness to it.
My arms are beside me on the rocks.
I feel something tentatively touch one of my fingers on my left hand. A surge of panic goes through my heart, until I peek and see that it's only Luna's fingers slowly wrapping around mine.
My attention wanders towards her face, where tears stream like rivers from her eyes.
I gasp."Oh, Luna, I... are you okay?"
She blinks and laughs, but it sounds insanely fake. She wipes her tears away, but they still stain, and her eyes stay wet."I'm fine, I'm just - tired. Yeah. Worried. Stressed, and stuff." She sighs."I don't really know."
I frown."I don't believe that."
"Heh. Me neither." She sits up. I do too. She points to a vast field outside of the forests in Echo Falls."There," she says."That's where Orion and I would go stargazing on Fridays."
  "I'm sorry," I confess. I start to cry, too. Hot and messy tears come flowing out of my eyes nonstop and suddenly there's no controlling them."I ruined your amazing relationship. I saved you, but Orion should've, and that caused a fight. He's hot tempered, and - I just... I'm so stupid! I had to save you!" My face is sticky from the salty tears running down my cheeks. I cover my eyes.
  Luna grasps my wrists and pulls my hands away from my face. She puts her hands on my face, using her thumbs to wipe away some tears. She inches closer. I feel my heart race at a million miles an hour.
  "It's okay, Maia. I don't think he was the right one for me. I had actually been thinking about breaking up with him... his temper caused us to fight a lot. And we never really saw each other, besides those Fridays. Don't feel sorry. If he really loved me, he would've saved me. I mean, sure even the strongest can have weak spots. But you? You're the most courageous person I know. You saved my life, Maia! Why would you be sorry about that? You care about me so much, and... I think I've finally realized that I care about you too. As more than a friend."