Chapter 37

"Mom are you ok?" I asked temporarily putting the other conversation on hold.

"Yes I am fine just been awhile since I have done that" she said while holding a hand to her forehead.

"Do what exactly?" I asked curiously

"Its hard to explain but I can turn myself into ashes basically and travel great distances it just drains me physically" she tried to explain.

"Well I don't care I am just glad you are safe." I told my mom

"But you are not. So this whole thing was about a girl" my mom started.

For the next hour and a half my mom lectured me on the proper treatment of women. How they were not play things for me to just enjoy myself with as I please. How women were to be treated with a degree of respect. She may have even laid her hands on me a few times. With the bruising I already had it hurt a lot more than it should have. When the lecture finally came to an end I left the room feeling and looking like a wounded puppy.

"How'd it go?" Whitney asked as I made my way back into the kitchen.

"Not stupid I know yall heard the whole thing" I said then visibly winced as I took a seat to sit at the island.

"So what now. Alex is gone most likely in hiding." Lala said as she entered the room looking a lot better then the last time I had seen her.

"She has to come back. So we wait " I said feeling sure of it.

We resumed our normal lives. Went back to school where of course Alex did not show up for the rest of the year. Even on the day of our graduation she was nowhere to be seen. Which was probably in her best interest. Right after the graduation I went to the football to do one last walk around before I left. Walking on the field I felt a sense of peace. In the fall I would continue on to college where I had a full ride football scholarship. The field held so many memories for me. I looked over the stands where I always knew Lala would be sitting to watch me. Under the bleachers where I took countless girls. The locker room where we got chewed out by coach. Most importantly the field where the team had countless victories.

"Ryan what are doing out here?" Lala asked me interrupting my reminiscing.

"Just getting one more look at the field and saying bye." I told her.

"Well speed it up your mom is looking for you." she told me with a smile.

"There is something I need to tell you first"

"Which is?" Lala asked me with a look of clear confusion on her face

"I think I am ready to be your boyfriend if you will have me." I said hoping I made sense.

"No your not. We are on our way to our freshmen year of college. Where girls will always be readily available. The type of commitment I want your not ready to give to me....Yet" she told me

"What kind is that?" I asked not liking the clear rejection.

"The kind where I see I am the only girl for you. The kind where I don't have to wonder if your completely committed. The kind where your eyes don't constantly wander off." she told me

"In other words you don't trust that I can be a one woman's man" she said to me.

"No I don't believe that right now. Especially with us about to go to college"

"You are wrong" I told her with conviction

"Then prove it" she said then started to walk off.