Chapter 7

“Ryan what are you doing here”

“Better question what you are doing here” I asked.

“Never mind I know what you did” she told me while looking at me smugly

“What” I asked confused

“Lavender. You smell like it” she said referring to Alex’s perfume

“We were tutoring” I said

“Of course”

“When did this become about me. What are you doing here?” I asked putting emphasis on you.

Completely ignoring my question she pushed passed me and went to get into the front seat of the car.

“Whitney” I said calmly after I had gotten into the back seat of the car

“She’s my sister” Whitney blurted out.

She pointed out the window of a little girl with head full of curls running out the building and into a man’s arms. To me personally she looked like a baby model. She had perfect curls bouncing in the wind. Each curl looked as if they were just done and not days old. The attention wasn’t on her hair though it was clear even from this distance that it was her eyes that drew people in. They were an olive green. The kind that was rare and you never saw on people. Her smile was contagious. You couldn’t look at her and not smile. It was that bright. She definitely belonged in a Colgate commercials. Of all of these features I could have mentioned to Whitney I said the most ignorant one.

“But she’s white” I said instantly feeling like an idiot for stating the obvious

“My dad cheated with a white woman” Whitney said giving me a duh look.

“Well if that’s your dad and sister why are we being stalkers and watching them from the car” I said

“Mother has forbidden me to see them” She said quietly

“Does Lala Know?”

“Yes” was her quick reply

“So everyone but me” I muttered in the backseat to myself

I sat in the backseat and sulked as we made our way back to my house. I glanced out the window and noticed that if I looked close enough I could see pairs of eyes staring back at me. The funny part was that we weren’t even near a forest. I was seriously starting to freak the fuck out.

“Ummm Whitney” I asked cautiously

“What” she snapped at me

“I think your friends want your attention” Getting more worried as the animals got bolder.

She turned her head to the window and noticed several different species of animals running alongside the car. Just a few of them were. Deer, Wolves, Coyotes, and even a cougar. What was that doing here? Suddenly Whitney screamed out in pain.

“What’s wrong” I asked as Shan pulled the car over

“The voices” She yelled right before she passed out

As if sensing that Whitney was no longer connected to them the animals started to disperse. I watched them in awe as they all went their separate ways no even caring that they were supposed to be eating each other. I was pulled back to the current situation when Whitney woke up demanding to know what happened when no one would tell her. Feeling the need to step up I tried my best to explain what happened.

“Well ummm it looks to me as if you summoned some animal friends to go home with us” I said with a slight chuckle at the end.

“Yeah ok” she said not believing me at all.